A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

If two coils are on the same panel surface these outward waves will collide , interfering with each other's natural flow.
There's no doubt that there will be interference. Is interference necessarily bad? Waves reflect off every perimeter of a panel (especially one with free edges) and interfere with the original wave and each other. In fact, the interference of all those reflections is what creates the modes that make a DML a DML. If interference has to be bad, why are free and undamped perimeters (which result in more interference) good?
Your videos apart from being very fast for some reason ?
I suggested watching at 1/4 speed. Is it my fault if you don't do that?
Does not seem to show much at all ?
It shows exactly what happens, and no more, no less.
You will just have to wait until I do my video on YouTube, watching me move the microphone around the panel slowly in real time, as the waves move up and down in frequency as the microphone is moved away from and in between the exciters.
And if we would see "the waves move up and down in frequency" (or something that looks like that), why would it indicate a necessarily bad result at normal listening distances?

Eric

Reactions: 1 user
Lawnboy.

The closest panel size i have to the one you mention is 17inches 13 inches I made this from strips of 3mm ply from crates .
The second picture is from 3m into the room I believe and the third is at 1m if I've got them the right way round.
Everything below 50hz is traffic noise and my big feet 😁

Attachments

• 20230327_161629.jpg
    20230327_161629.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230327_161557.jpg
    20230327_161557.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230327_161436.jpg
    20230327_161436.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 45
There's no doubt that there will be interference. Is interference necessarily bad? Waves reflect off every perimeter of a panel (especially one with free edges) and interfere with the original wave and each other. In fact, the interference of all those reflections is what creates the modes that make a DML a DML. If interference has to be bad, why are free and undamped perimeters (which result in more interference) good?

I suggested watching at 1/4 speed. Is it my fault if you don't do that?

It shows exactly what happens, and no more, no less.

And if we would see "the waves move up and down in frequency" (or something that looks like that), why would it indicate a necessarily bad result at normal listening distances?

Eric
It is the reason I prefer the sound of one exciter and not two, as I have said before it muddies the water (pun intended ) if you do not care if the problem is there Or not , there seems no point in me showing you it.
I do not know how to change the speed of your recording and like you I can not be bothered to find out.
I will leave it there , believe what you like.
I will carry on trying to help people build great sounding panels, but not necessarily on this forum as YouTube seems to be a much better way of demonstrating panels.
Steve.

Reactions: 1 users
If this is true (which I am not doubting),
Hello Jaxboy,
Of course more evidences are always welcome
wouldn't it be a good idea to boost the treble of the signal?
I guess yes, unless there is an other natural mechanism that increase the level. Applying the technique shown by Eric on different panels should learn a lot on this topic.
I am a neophyte, and have never studied the mechanics of audio, My masters was in human relations.
This is the richness of the forum... and also part of the challenge
Christian

Hi Christian .
how far the hf travels depends on the panel materials.
my ply panels for instance , the hf will reach 20k all the way to the far corners , but 70 grade EPS will only be about 10k at the edges.
I can now measure this in real time now I am on YouTube , if you wish ?
It seems so much easier.
Steve
Hello Steve
Thank you for the proposal. Yes, it would be interesting to increase the knowledge of materials against that. The distance of the edges should be mentioned also
Could you add proplex in those tests?
I will plan to do the same... not this week, I don't have my measurement tool for now.
@Veleric : which material was your test?
Christian

I will carry on trying to help people build great sounding panels, but not necessarily on this forum as YouTube seems to be a much better way of demonstrating panels.
Steve.
Why not both? If You Tube offers a wider public and is dedicated for video, the concentration of passionate DIYers at good level is here.
Please keep us inform here to what you publish there.
Christian

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Steve
Thank you for the proposal. Yes, it would be interesting to increase the knowledge of materials against that. The distance of the edges should be mentioned also
Could you add proplex in those tests?
I will plan to do the same... not this week, I don't have my measurement tool for now.
@Veleric : which material was your test?
Christian
Hi Christian.
The proplex is a very good panel ,but the problem is I cannot find out anything about the round fluted panels on line only square flutes ?
So if it is not available anymore it seems a bit pointless perusing testing ?
Steve.

• What size and shape of canvas should be used? For DMLs made using materials such as XPS it seems to be common for them to be close to square, however all the examples of canvas DMLs I've seen have been more rectangular. Is there a reason for this?
Hello Colin,
Have a look here Github DML page. The first document is a kind of history file. There is a table summarizing some canvas realizations. Extract :
1679941473220.png

Not sure it was the result of deep design investigation but more obviously copies... Canvas for painting are also mainly easy to find in rectangular shape. The canvas being identical in both directions, a square shape is not a good idea leading to have modes with the same frequency.
I think I've settled on using the DAEX25 exciter, both because of price and because they are 8ohms which means they are above the minimum impedance of the AV receiver I plan to use them with. I've seen some people cut off the legs from these exciters, should I do this?
My current choice is DAEX25-4FHE. It is 4 ohms. I would have preferred 8 Ohms not because of the amp but because of the cut off frequency due to the inductance with the voice coil inductance. I won't worry about the impedance viewed by the amplifier. About the legs, no experience. What we read here is they are generally cut.
What size and shape should the piece of balsa between the exciter and the canvas be? I've seen both small circular pieces and larger rectangular pieces being used, does it matter?
As for the proportions, there are not so much variants of this design so few experience. In mine, it is rectangular. The variant is to be with real balsa. It works but the others are light plywood. In posts with Spedge, we understood what he thought to have bought balsa was in fact basswood... probably a good choice.
Can I mount the back of spine directly to a wall, and should I have some sort of damping material (melamine sponges?) between the wall and the canvas?
My dream also when I started to build DML... I am afraid there is no real hope on this way. The rear wave has the same energy as the front one so very difficult to absorb it. Depending of the damping material, some energy will be reflected and combined with the front. Easy to test. Let us know your results... just don't start with a permanent attach method!
It seems like with the canvas panels the exciter is usually mounted at the centre instead of the 2/5 3/5 position. Why?
Same, low deviation from the original one... The canvas is probably not working on exactly the same physics as DML (vibration in a membrane versus in a plate), the common point is modes; Being at the centre, the force coming from the canvas tension is balanced in a better way for the voice coil.
I plan on eventually using these panels to setup a 5.1 system. In terms of EQing the speakers, I was thinking of connecting them all to my AV receiver and then that to my PC, and then using a calibration mic and room eq wizard. Does this make sense? Maybe this is a dumb question, but is doing this any different from EQing the panels individually?
My experience in EQing is to low to understand really your question. DML are suitable for EQing as they are based on modes. Due to the possible dispersion between panels (material, tension, exciter placement) some individual EQ could make sense. As first step, I would build them and then test them with REW each being at the same location to evaluate the similarities or differences.

Christian

Hi Christian.
The proplex is a very good panel ,but the problem is I cannot find out anything about the round fluted panels on line only square flutes ?
So if it is not available anymore it seems a bit pointless perusing testing ?
Steve.
Hello Steve,
It would be even a good reason to do it! As you got a material with good results, even if not available, why not trying to figure out more of its characteristics. to help for the next choices.
Christian

That isn't as I read it. He was using digital filters to smooth the response measured with a swept frequency. This however isn't the same as playing say music that contains a whole load of frequencies however he did listening tests. There are other similar papers. Once commercial use thought is using projection screens as a speaker.
Well, they are both pretty clear that they are discussing multi exciters in the context of WFS. The title on the second paper is even "Analysis and Enhancement of Multiactuator Panels for Wave Field Synthesis".