A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 3

Select the driver that you think sounds best here.

• A

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • B

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • C

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • D

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • E

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • F

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • G

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • H

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have you ever seen a measurement of the A7P not by the manufacturer?

Not long ago yes and it doesn't reflect datasheet very much and either less the purist words that is used in datasheet.

Did see the thread where Timpert put time to break them in guess they never got to reflect either words or plot from datasheet. Measured in real world rooms seems really doesn't help him to listen the music he like as seen wished below, Timpert agree your experience below and for me wise notes.

....In my experience, components with a strong character may soup up the sound on some recordings, but in the same effort, they screw up the sound on others. I used to have some of these "character components", but I found that after an initial period of satisfaction, the limitations they imposed on my listening always killed them off after a while. I found myself searching for records that would sound good with my components instead of searching for music I like.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
FWIW I don't think I have seen any amateur measurements of any of the drivers in this test - though I have seen critique of both MA and TB datasheets. In the latter case, I think its largely hocum, but their graphs are plotted on stupid scales. However, they aren't alone in this.

THD info is the hardest to come by, leaving most decisions to guesswork based on available data on motor design.

Looking into the whole measurement equipment/ARTA/REW ratsnest as I speak, and hopefully I can answer some of the questions that have eluded me so far.

My amateur measurements don't show anything like the published data. In fact it resembles the CHR70 but with extended top end.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...blind-auditioning-drivers-11.html#post4394509

FWIW I don't think I have seen any amateur measurements of any of the drivers in this test - though I have seen critique of both MA and TB datasheets. In the latter case, I think its largely hocum, but their graphs are plotted on stupid scales. However, they aren't alone in this.

THD info is the hardest to come by, leaving most decisions to guesswork based on available data on motor design.

Looking into the whole measurement equipment/ARTA/REW ratsnest as I speak, and hopefully I can answer some of the questions that have eluded me so far.

You can see THD measurements for the SB in my gallery.

Its FR also comes close to the manufactures when you factor in BSC and diffraction from my FR measurements in the tiny loudspeaker I used them in.

IMO Madisound made a major mistake importing the CHN-70. I guess they wanted a driver at a price point. That driver was designed for the sometimes quirky Japanese market and are not suitable to the Occidental ear. They do look nice though.

If you are looking for a 70mm MA driver, go with the CHR-70 or CHP-70.

Bob

You can see THD measurements for the SB in my gallery.

Its FR also comes close to the manufactures when you factor in BSC and diffraction from my FR measurements in the tiny loudspeaker I used them in.

That's that's useful, especially for those in the market to buy more drivers.

Due to the few THD measures I've seen for what I have already, it appears one has to go to the extent of measuring with some of the tools available to the DIYer in order to have any real idea what is going on. I.e. I'd like to use what I have got already before buying more :D

So far in my search for THD plots of drivers I own, I have only found them for my budget specials, Mission CP168 6" midwoofer and Fountek Neo2.5H but they're rather good in general.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, that is what I see. but you have mentioned CHR-70 in your post:

Is that a typo in the post?

I am not sure what you are asking about a typo? I show measurement of a A7P and CHR70 on the same graph to show similarities in the plateau that starts at 600Hz and the drops at 7kHz. On the A7P, it picks back up and has higher frequency response but there is a 20dB peak near 16kHz when listening on axis.

Judging by their published datasheets, this round should see a reasonable proportion of the vote go to the A7 paper cone variant.
Which is exactly the reason why I got them soon after they first came out. But their real character turned out to be quite different from the picture painted by the datasheet. Both XRK971, Bob Brines and I have positively identified the cause of this (THD issue around 600 Hz, wonky frequency response, strong ringing at 16 kHz). They are like that, no matter if broken in or not. Anyone who tells you differently is just making up excuses for whatever reason.

Now there is the very real possibility that you actually like this kind of character. But you'll never know until you have heard them. That's why I appreciate X's work for these tests so much.

Well I haven't heard the A7P (well.ok I have but I have no idea which one it is in this test), so I should probably reserve judgement.

However, it is frustrating. I own Alpair 5s and these have an annoying resonance or THD spike at around 400 Hz IICR. I picked this up when taking impedance measurements the slow way (as described in Weems').

It was so objectionable that since discovering it, I haven't been able.to seriously use these drivers. It was not apparent or not obviously so, in impedance and FR datasheet info. It is the general opinion of many, including Mark I believe, that the A5 had issues.

What issues exist or not in other MA drivers, I cant say. At least until the results of this poll.are out.

As for TB, I haven't seen any independent data on models I'm interested in, ones I own. W2-800SL and W3-1285SG. But the latter is neo magnet, underhung and should be reasonable for THD is used within capabilities...I hope.

Last edited:
My temporary preference after listening all files with Eric Clapton:

1. Tang Band (probably 1st winner)
2. Visaton B80
3. Peerless (!)
4. Alpair 7P (probably 2nd winner)
5. Alpair 7.3
6. GR Research
7. SBAcoustics
8. Visaton FRS5X

Eric Clapton (clip#2) was so good to show subtle important differences. I'm 99% sure with my preference, so I'm not sure I wil try other reference music clips, but there are plenty of days to change my mind ;)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
My temporary preference after listening all files with Eric Clapton:

1. Tang Band (probably 1st winner)
2. Visaton B80
3. Peerless (!)
4. Alpair 7P (probably 2nd winner)
5. Alpair 7.3
6. GR Research
7. SBAcoustics
8. Visaton FRS5X

Eric Clapton (clip#2) was so good to show subtle important differences. I'm 99% sure with my preference, so I'm not sure I wil try other reference music clips, but there are plenty of days to change my mind ;)

Jay,
:). LOL

You crack me up with your prognostications - I love how you can lay out what you think the winners are in exact order and identified but lacking letter label!

In the perfume world, they have a guy called "The Nose" who tests all mixes and can identify subtle differences.

In wine world, you have a guy called "The Tongue" (Sommelier) who tastes all blends.

In audio, you must be "The Ear"! Although some people have perfect pitch and can tell you exact note of any tone - like A4 sharp etc. that is different though.

Thanks for your comments. I also like clip 2 very much for critical listening and comparison.

Cheers,
X

Last edited:
I am not sure what you are asking about a typo? I show measurement of a A7P and CHR70 on the same graph to show similarities in the plateau that starts at 600Hz and the drops at 7kHz. On the A7P, it picks back up and has higher frequency response but there is a 20dB peak near 16kHz when listening on axis.

Sorry X, I can see only CHN-70 in your graph, no CHR-70! :confused:

Post #101:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...blind-auditioning-drivers-11.html#post4394509

Attaching the image file also for your reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 353
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.