A Trans-Atlantic Collaberation: High Gain Tube MC Phono Pre-Amp

Ok, well for what its worth here it is, I don't claim any originality for this, just 3 mu follower stages, 2 stage passive Riaa.
Cheers
20240621_074507.jpg
20240621_074521.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I would estimate output the output impedance from the anode is probably around 2k to 2k5.
With the output impedance in mind I did wire a second set of output sockets with mu output from the upper valve cathode of the last stage. I do perhaps marginaly prefer the non mu output, but there's not much in it.

fdegrove, on first listen I under estimated the rp of the 6C45, so my riaa was a little out, once corrected, and now burnt in a little its starting to sound quite good.

I think changes would be regarding method of construction, rarher than actual schematic. As is, Its a good test bed and despite the long component lead length, this dosent seem to have effected the noise or stability, but I would build it In a more compact manner if I were to rebuild.
Also it does get quite hot, so maybe reduce the raw heater voltage a little or add an RC filter to the heater supply's.

I did also consider the possibility of a variable negative bias supply for the last two stages and connecting their cathodes direct to ground, I may try this as I have one spare wire in the outboard PS umbilical.

Cheers

Last edited: