Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

TNT, your thinking isn't completely unfounded as illustrated by the electro-mechano-acoustical circuit.

Attachments

• electro-mechano-acoustical circuit.png
    electro-mechano-acoustical circuit.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 348
... at the same time they advertise "excellent loading down to 300 Hz" - that's what I'm interested in. There's no doubt about exponential expansion horns. But this is not the case, is it?

You don't need a full exponential expansion to obtain the loading characteristics.
Here's an example of a truncated expo horn of 25cm length.
This ao. explains why some people have used the JBL 2380 from <500Hz.

Attachments

• Exphornimpedancevsfreq.PNG
    Exphornimpedancevsfreq.PNG
    99.1 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
We're going in circles, I guess. Did you see the throat impedance of JBL 2380?
You can use any finite horn how low you want, provided the driver can handle it in the particular conditions. You don't even have to think about "loading" at all...

That may be interpreted arbitrarily ;)

I do think loading is important, perhaps not so much around 1000Hz, but definitely around 500Hz.
Maybe you have some OS horns laying around to test with the HF1440 from 500Hz.

One may wonder why manufacturers specify a lower usable limit at all, if this is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That may be interpreted arbitrarily
OK. I meant excursion and heat dissipation limits, manifesting themselves in abrupt rise of higher order distortion or a smell of the voice coil burning.

Perhaps you have some OS horns laying around to test with the HF1440 from 500Hz.
I do have some but not big enough for that :)

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Imagine you wanted to use a compression driver without any horn, like an ordinary tweeter - that's perfectly possible (although not very useful or effective - that's beside the point). How would you find out what's the lower usable limit in your particular case? No manufacturer's data to help you.

Last edited:
Besides measuring distortion there isn't a clear cut answer. Faital Pro does give you gap/winding measurements. Most xmax ratings for tweeters/compression drivers I've seen have been based on the most conservative xmax calculations. Anywhere from 0.1-1.5mm for domes and 0.1-1mm for compression drivers.

Edit: JBL seems to use a different calculation or maybe based on distortion. Seems close to the 1/4 or 1/3 of the gap method. (Winding-Gap)/2+1/4gap
476Be

Piston Excursion calculator

Gives a decent idea of what your working with. Add a few decibels for your typical waveguide depending on the coverage angle and size.

Looks like the HF1440 would come in at 0.8mm using the 1/4 calc. Which is what BMS states for their 3.5" rings interestingly enough. Looks like it would produce about 110db on a flat baffle.

Last edited:
@700hz.

Probably wouldn't sound great at that level but it does ensure plenty of headroom for any home application.

Edit. A ring doesn't move the same as a piston...need to figure out the math but you would need to subtract a couple decibels or so. Maybe 107? Not sure.

Last edited:
Imagine you wanted to use a compression driver without any horn, like an ordinary tweeter - that's perfectly possible (although not very useful or effective - that's beside the point). How would you find out what's the lower usable limit in your particular case? No manufacturer's data to help you.

As a rule of thumb, it's probably safe to say that a horn provides roughly 1 octave extra bandwith towards the low end.

This is the impedance of the HF1440 mounted on FaitalPRO's LTH142 Horn:

HF1440_impedance_8.gif

Considering the LTH142 is a fairly small Tractrix horn, the naked driver can probably used from around 1000Hz. This is consistent with Legis' findings.

Absolutely!

If you deal with horns and compression drivers and compare the performance to that of an average dome tweeter, then SPL becomes a relatively insignificant factor. At least for hi-fi.

Nevertheless, the operating range of compression drivers isn't infinite and partly depends on the horn used with it.

Last edited:
The radiation impedance doesn't matter much in the end.

Look at your typical direct radiating woofer. They're making all their spl through sheer brute force displacement and very low efficiency at the bottom of their range. This is the reality of small radiators vs. relatively large wavelengths.

Wouldn't get hung up on that unless you plan to do the same for the rest of the system. Luckily prosound drivers in home settings can make you deaf without any effort.