Acoustic Horn Design – The Easy Way (Ath4)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
BTW, this looks surprisingly good (just a quick and crude try / solving time 6 minutes) -

box3-results.PNG

Reactions: 5 users
No, the waveguide must fit inside the flat area of the front baffle. That's a limitation.
I understand, the curvature is attached to a box definition, not subtracted. So it needs to be downsized a bit for simulation, by about 2.5 cm. This device was 26.5 cm total, intended to fit a baffle width of 32 cm, with 4 cm radius on each side (8 cm total). A downsized version will probably still give a good idea of its performance.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Higher resolution far-field data, horizontally, vertically, diagonally -

b3-mesh.PNG

b3-h.png
b3-v.png
b3-d.png

There's obviously a lot of diffraction, yet it's still pretty balanced - I guess this is due to the overall dimension ratios (307 x 236 x 179 mm).
It will be interesting to see this with all the edges rounded.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yes, squishing the vertical introduced some ripples, but it seemed to me the more significant bumps are located opposite to where there is a ditch on the other axis. This is also apparent from the earlier infinite baffle simulation. If diagonal is a mean (it isn’t strictly) of both axes, this explains why this is the smoothest response. Should sum very good. Interested to see results for rounded edges.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I understand, the curvature is attached to a box definition, not subtracted. So it needs to be downsized a bit for simulation, by about 2.5 cm. This device was 26.5 cm total, intended to fit a baffle width of 32 cm, with 4 cm radius on each side (8 cm total). A downsized version will probably still give a good idea of its performance.
Thinking about it, it should not be that difficult to implement a bending of the sides of a waveguide so that it became a part of a rounded edge.

I don't know what you mean by a "shorter termination" but it's no problem -
He means the final flare is over a shorter length to make the overall waveguide smaller. augerpro's waveguides were similar and it made getting the Ath mesh to CAD mesh tricky. Doing it all in one in a gmsh script is much better and will give a better and easier result than the cut and fit that was necessary before to see the effect of a finite baffle.
One has always to be careful about mesh quality but that's not difficult.
When it had to be done in two stages avoiding these long thin triangles was quite difficult and they caused problems. Interestingly this solved quite nicely up to 10K

Thin edge triangles.png

but it needed to be this to solve without any real problem the Ath generated version above would solve better still.

Thin triangles worked.png

augerpro's waveguide solved nicely like this, but there it's too many elements to expand it out to a whole baffle in half symmetry.

AP26Mesh.png

Reactions: 1 users
Somehow I missed a lot lot of posts above where some of it had already been covered.

This was the horizontal from the good model, the sharp edges on the cabinet have more impact on a smaller waveguide with a more abrupt termination.

With non axisymmetric waveguides having more vertical baffle dimension and more gradual rounding can help to somewhat offset the mouth being smaller in that dimension. Something that will be much easier to experiment with straight from Ath.

3b2H Curves.png

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Important:

The long thin triangles are a consequence of a sub-optimal setting of Mesh.ZMapPoints and it's easily correctable. The default setting works fine in most cases but sometimes it needs to be tweaked a bit, just as in the cases above. This holds not only for the mouth but also at the throat.

It's still not properly documented in the User Guide but see this post:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...-design-the-easy-way-ath4.338806/post-6102810

Updated Desmos tool for easier setting of the four Mesh.ZMapPoints numbers - it should be intuitive:
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/grihwchoyw

What is a "slice" in Ath is described here (page 15 of the UG):
http://www.at-horns.eu/release/ath-4.8.0.pdf#page=15

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user