Acoustic property of soda bottle filled with water

Since I had a 5L plastic bottle with water on the table and REW open on the computer anyway, I tried some sine waves and touched the bottle to feel if it would resonate with the waves and it did. From around 125Hz up to around 300Hz or so the bottle resonated with the sound wave. So it might act as an absorber for those frequencies. If you cover the walls with a lot of bottles it might be effective.
On the other hand they will act as sound diffusers only for pretty high frequencies. But if you fix the bottles somehow with the bottom to the wall and have bottles with different heights, you could even have a proper sound diffuser and a highbass absorber just with bottles. :) Maybe it works out that way, you have to try.

Reactions: 1 users
Since I had a 5L plastic bottle with water on the table and REW open on the computer anyway, I tried some sine waves and touched the bottle to feel if it would resonate with the waves and it did. From around 125Hz up to around 300Hz or so the bottle resonated with the sound wave. So it might act as an absorber for those frequencies. If you cover the walls with a lot of bottles it might be effective.
On the other hand they will act as sound diffusers only for pretty high frequencies. But if you fix the bottles somehow with the bottom to the wall and have bottles with different heights, you could even have a proper sound diffuser and a highbass absorber just with bottles. :) Maybe it works out that way, you have to try.
Thank you, greatly appreciated!

I was always under the impression that reflected sound was bad as it bounces back mixing with the next note to come from the speaker so distorting it.
Plastic bottles are hard and shiny and any bubbles in them will make them reflect at yet another frequency.
The poor used to use egg trays to stop reflections from walls.
The rich used either carpet or suspended ceiling tiles.
The super rich use acoustic panels.
Carpet is the most practical as it does not mark if you bump against it.
Walls covered in a hard texture may help if you are trying to further modify the sound from a guitar pedal.

It also depends on your goals for the acoustic treatment. Diffusers are preferred in some applications. Newer style being quadratic residue, MLS, etc.

ASC TubeTraps have one side absorptive and one side reflective for treble diffusion. Other cylindrical diffusers are around, but ASC seems like the brand most people are familiar with.

You're a bachelor, aren't you?
Why?

It´s a perfectly acceptable construction thechnique in many Countries around the World, including (just an example) Nigeria:

amanbuildsaw.jpg

nineteenyear.jpg

https://phys.org/news/2011-11-plastic-bottles-nigeria-housing-problem.html

Reactions: 3 users
Coca Cola has a plant in Florida that uses a billion or so bottles a year to fill product.
They use ground water, and corn syrup comes in 18 wheeler tankers, stored in underground tanks.
They use corn syrup, not sugar to sweeten the product.

Think of what to do with those empties.

Political line : A 2 liter bottle of cola in India is about 30% sugar, so drinking an entire bottle will dose you with 600 grams of sugar.
The USA has a RDA of 15 grams, so effectively you are consuming 40 times what doctors tell us is a sufficient quantity of sugar per day.
Part of the cause of the diabetes / obesity and other diseases that are very common in prosperous countries.

Very interesting, sustainable, low energy method, uses solar energy directly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_water_disinfection

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I am not looking for absorption. I made some DIY absorption panels with a stack of polyester fiber board. They did remove some treble sparkle in my room. I think I would probably get used to the sound one way or another, but I don't think I want more of those.

Next I am looking to experiment with diffusion. As usual I am exploring DIY options to save money. Wood is the go to material. Then I came across the fact that water also reflect sound, may be not as much as higher density glass or stones, but they nevertheless do. They are also higher density than many types of wood. So I wonder if it is a feasible material to scatter sound if they are molded into proper shapes?

But I am far from an expert, and I also don't see anyone doing this, probably for good reasons, hence my questions.

The biggest mistake in room treatment is to absorb the treble and high mid frequencies only and end up with very different reverbtimes at various frequencies. Imo it is much better to diffuse the sound waves, if you cannot absorb the low frequencies as well, which would require a lot of material and room (impossible in most domestic homes). So I think the idea with the bottles is laudable and should be tried, but I probably would have problems with the aesthetics of a room full of plastic bottles :)

Navyblue, thanks for thinking out of the box, it triggered my mind and I would use those leftover bags out of the bag in box wine, due to the flexibility of the material it could probably absorp even more.
Anybody who can measure this?

Kind regards,

Willem.

Attachments

• bag-in-box.jpg
    bag-in-box.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 42