Acoustic property of soda bottle filled with water

I have been exploring a little about the cheapest container possible. I came across a kind of water bag for camping, which looks a lot like the wine bag above. But the shape is kinda rectangle-ish. So I think round PET bottle is still the better option.

If the look bothers you, I guess you could make a sleeve with colored paper, so they look like a tube.

Or you could dye the water, just avoid yellow to avoid unnecessary misunderstanding.

If you want it to look real pretty, you could consider lava lamp.

These 500ml bottles are what I have on hand at the moment, barely enough to cover first reflection point. I'll have a listen tomorrow if it does anything.

1.png

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It´s a perfectly acceptable construction thechnique in many Countries around the World, including (just an example) Nigeria:
Some 40 years ago Heineken made prototype beer bottles that would stack and nest into each other to be used as building blocks. I've seen a wall built of them. Ultimately they were never brought to market, for obvious social reasons.

But water bottle acoustic treatments? Intriguing idea, let us know how they sound!

Reactions: 1 user
I once used 2 litre bottles suspended from the ceiling. Some filled with water, others with used motor oil, some with sand, staggered at different heights. I swear it sounded better than any other room on the planet. I also remember we were listening to a new album by Pink Floyd called Dark Side of the Moon and were really 'enjoying' ourselves. My test methods might seem a bit off kilter, but you'll never convince me otherwise.

Dig it man!
:)

Reactions: 1 user
1651717159154.png

The house exterior is beer bottles.
Not sure if it is the same place, but when I lived in Hyderabad, a brewery owner used the straight part of bottles (or was it bottom cut, taper match), to cover the exterior walls.
Excellent insulation, and no maintenance.
He called the house "Cheers", it was on Road No. 12, Banjara Hills IIRC.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a quick listen, please pardon the audiophile speak. Compared to no treatment or absorber, center image is more focused, sound stage seems wider. When I move my head, imaging is much more stable. the effect seems stronger with female than male vocal, may be a thicker bottle would help. The difference is obvious and not something that I have to squint.

Compared to my home made absorber, upper mid and treble are more forward. Trumpet's bite is more satisfying. Sound stage depth feels shallower though.

I think it's worth exploring further.

Reactions: 1 users