ADAM Active Studio Monitor schematic diagrams help

I don't think this was intentionaly done by ADAM. Makes no sense for a quality manufacturer to produce things that fail over time. There are other industries doing that, but not High End Audio. Seems that the Asian sub manufacturer saw the oportunity to increase profit 8 Cents per unit and used some acid curing substance instead of the more expensive stuff. I'm quite sure the description in the contract was something like "vibration damping compound for electronics." Which, in Europe, would be non corrosive in any case. In some other region a material that doesn't eat away the whole thing after 2 years may be considered "non corrosive".
The usual. ultra cheap elastic silicone you use around the house, is containing acid which is needed to cure it. You may know the distinctive vinegar like smell. In the end of the reaction there is always some left that contaminates the region where it was applied. Usually without consequences, around your house. Never use it on raw metall.

PS I'm not counting Harman/JBL a High End Manufacturer. They, like many others want their products to go to the land fill after 2 years and the customer should buy the new version.

Hi,
this is a really interesting thread!
I am jumping in to see if anyone has the 2SA model schematics.

Just got a used pair for testing before buying and to my surprise, and the seller's too, one of the monitors was not sounding as it should. Last time they have been used is like a year ago and all was fine.
The overall output of the faulty monitor is at least 10db too quiet, the input gain isn't responsive and there is no sound coming from the tweeter, although I can hear the normal hiss, letting me believe the hi amp is functioning.

I just read through the thread diagonally and have seen no mention of this model. I'd like to know more about the design before and add one schematic on the top post's list.
Here is the update on the troubleshooting and repair of my Adam 2SA

As soon as I got the schematics I opened the back of the monitor for a visual inspection. All looked clean. Then I rigged it to play some music : no sound at all. That was surprising because, prior to that, there was at least some sound coming through. So I started to wiggle around with the wires and connectors to find out that one of the JST connector, SV11, was damage (see schematics on post #218). The spring part of one of the crimp terminal was broken. I just replaced it. Then I was back to the conditions described on my first post.

Next I tested the ribbon cable that passes through to the control panel (SV1 to SV6), since the controls were not responsive at all, except for the standby switch. Only the middle part of the wire showed continuity. That's after I removed the speakers that the source of the problem revealed itself.

MICE!
The monitors had been stored for a years. Definitely the best architecture for mice house! And they love to eat wires.
IMG_20240621_113944.jpg

So I ordered the parts to make myself a replacement cable, then reconnected the system (out of the box). Everything is working good. Now the problem I'm left with is to replace the cabinet damping material. I hoped I could somehow clean it and keep it, but, frankly, it is definitely ruined. I also inspected the other monitor and it shows traces of rodent life, although nothing has been damage, apart from the damping material.

It's the first time I have to shop for that material. It's the white fluffy stuff. It's 2 inch thick when not compressed. I am really not sure what to look for. From my search, I understand it is either poly-fill or Dacron (or is it the same thing?).

Can someone point me in the right direction? What to buy and where? (I am located in Canada)

Speakers with reflex ports should always be stored with fully covered holes,
otherwise it is an invitation for small animals. I once had a subwoofer in for
repair which was only used occasionally and stored in a garage. Mice went
in and used the inside as dining area. The cabinet was filled with nutshells.
The original complaint from the owner, a local wedding DJ, was bad sound.

Reactions: 1 user
"Bad sound", ahahah! In the case of studio monitors, that could also mean "bad smell". I guess it would not be much ealthy having these speaker pumping this filthy air through the ports straight in the face.

Is there a specific material that makers like Adam use? I don't mind getting something a bit more expensive if it is to get the same thickness/density/dampening effect as the original. Perhaps I did not mention, but this will be to the seller's expense. I fact, he will pay me for the repair job. I could have the pair for something like cad700$ instead of the 900$ he was asking for.

Last edited:
My Adam P11A pair both have problems with the amplifiers. One of them is losing response in the woofer and the other is losing response in the tweeter. The drivers themselves test perfectly fine.
I replaced all of the small capacitors near the heatsinks, but unfortunately that did not work for either speaker. I’m going to try replacing some of the larger capacitors and testing the toroidal transformers next.
Anyone got any ideas? If I can’t get them working soon then I’ll probably cut my losses and sell them “for parts only.”

In my simple, personal opinion any active speaker has a limited life span. The combination of vibration and heat cycles is not the best ambient for electronics build to a price point. Adam is a very good product at a very reasonable price. The professional user will keep it for a limited time, my estimate about 5 years.
Then such used speakers, that usually where powered on for the whole work day, are handed down to a living room user, who switches them on and off quite often. One day they simply fail. From my memory, hardly any electronic gadget in my hands that failed did so while powering it on.

I think this is something to keep in mind with repairing these electronics. Vibration and heat are the cause for failure and one should look at parts and obvious locations where this matters most. 85°C limited and heavy parts on the PCB are a priority. If people that repair such speakers would always post the end result, we should be able to develop a pattern of typical faults, making diagnose and fix simpler.

I fear in the future we will see a whole lot of defective active speaker here.
We can not compare from price and build quality, a mass produced ADAM to some vintage German Neumann studio monitors, made to last decades.