ADC for vinyl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is an ADC (no DAC) RCA to co-axial/toslink, available from along 1986090- the DAC supplier, it's $39. It does'nt have a h/phone socket and I realise that using h/phones to check what's happening is avery good idea.

erin - what's your take on the Behringer SRC 2496. It uses an AK4393 and it can be modded to sound very good indeed.

The problem for me is that the analogue section is nowhere as good as the DAC section.

I use for my vinyl recordings an ADC based on the ESS9012 and an OPA1632 input. Unfortunately, the level is not adjustable and the input impedance is 3 kOhms.
But the next step is with a muses volume control. This version will be also available as a KIT.
The measurements are promising and the recordings sound very good, almost like analog.
The digital interface is a XMOS Streamer of MiniDSP with external AES-EBU driver and receiver.

Attachments

• XMOS-USB -0.6db.pdf
    93.9 KB · Views: 105
There is an ADC (no DAC) RCA to co-axial/toslink, available from along 1986090- the DAC supplier, it's $39. It does'nt have a h/phone socket and I realise that using h/phones to check what's happening is avery good idea.

erin - what's your take on the Behringer SRC 2496. It uses an AK4393 and it can be modded to sound very good indeed.

The problem for me is that the analogue section is nowhere as good as the DAC section.

The ADC from ebay user along, has no way of connecting to your PC apart from analogue RCA, and neither does the Behringer. I expect that you would want to use USB. I would be surprised if either of these units would convenience you?

My opinion of the Beringer SRC 2496 is limited. I have not heard it.
But, I am doubtful of its jitter reduction claims without seeing test results.

My only experience with an external upsampling chip is when I have heard an friends "raindrop hui" (ebay seller) 4x wolfson assembled DAC which used an upsampling chip prior to the wolfson DACs. I personally found the sound to be lacking in dynamics, and artificially "smooth" sounding. I didnt personally think it sounded as natural as I would like. However some music sounded quite good through this unit, I didnt want to rush out and buy one.

Wheather my experience can be translated to other units using upsampling chips, I am not sure. I personally dont think upsampling is the panacea to all digital problems. At this point in time, I also personally dont really like the audible effect of using software upsampling which like mentioned above, to my ears anyway, seems to kill the dynamics of music. I prefer to play back at the native sample rate.

I realize that there are plenty of people who like upsampling. Each to their own.

I performed a vinyl recording on the weekend and I used the line in on my desktop PC motherboard.

The sound quality of the recording is excellent!

I wish I tried this years ago!

I wrongly assumed the quality would be poor. But is actually very good to listen to the recording. I didn't measure anything, I just find the subjective sound to be excellent.

I find myself listening to vinyl less and less, as I'm smitten by Amarra's Symphony using its IRC digital room/speaker/impulse correction.
Obviously I can't put a vinyl analog signal into Amarra , I could use an ADC to make digital files of a vinyl rip, but I'm wondering if anyone has figured out how to use a simple, very high quality ADC with USB and get it to work real time into something like Amarra, ie direct analog from a phono preamp into an ADC straight into a media player, and then into a dac . No files . Is this possible?

Focusrite 2i4 at 24/96 with Vinyl Studio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.