Amp Camp Pre+Headphone Amp - ACP+

This is indeed a fantastic project! Thanks as usual to Mr. Pass for his generosity and genius and to 6L6 for all the support!

As one that has built the Whammy, how does this fare against it?

I know that the best answer is: build one, enjoy, and you will have your answer! Some of you already know that availability of parts where I live is really precarious, so a small question up front helps a lot in decision making.

Thanks for any insight... and again, thanks to this community! Those building this on the burning amp workshop must have had a blast!

Best regards,
Rafa.

This is indeed a fantastic project! Thanks as usual to Mr. Pass for his generosity and genius and to 6L6 for all the support!

As one that has built the Whammy, how does this fare against it?

I know that the best answer is: build one, enjoy, and you will have your answer! Some of you already know that availability of parts where I live is really precarious, so a small question up front helps a lot in decision making.

Thanks for any insight... and again, thanks to this community! Those building this on the burning amp workshop must have had a blast!

Best regards,
Rafa.

After spending time with both as a headphone amp, I like them both. They sound different to me. I have opa2134 in whammy. I was looking to modify whammy to add preamp. I'll use acp+ for that instead.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I haven't tried the ACP+ as a preamp. Recently I listened to it through an old pair
of AKG701 headphones and the source was an old (mid 90's) portable cd player with
fixed out. The music was a few Blue Coast Records sampler tracks.

The ACP+ literally jumped out and grabbed me. Very engaging and enjoyable.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've some 2sk214 here that I thought might be appropriate to use here. That said their Vgs(on) is a lot lower than the irf610.
I would imagine the solutions are either to reduce the value of R15, and/or the current running through the LTP. But! The bias of the out put stage is being controlled by the optocoupler, so I'm unsure if any of what I've described is even relevant.
Could anyone let me know what I'm missing?

They run at about 4.5 mA, depending on the Vgs of the IRF610, so 6+ mA will be
fine. High Idss might require some adjustment of the 1K Drain resistance. to put
the output DC test voltage at midpoint of supply and ground.
Wouldn't it make sense to make this adjustable (trimpot)? The same would apply to R4 to make the CCS-current adjustable (as some people discussed a few pages back?