AMT for line array

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I needed 48 tweeters to make a 65" line array, so I can up with a very simple design that I can make quickly. I use purchased diaphragms, some perforated sheet and some readily available 3mm x 10mm x 60mm magnets. I am putting the tweeters in groups of 4 to make assembly easier. The array will use electronic curvature with a 24-channel DSP/amp shown in the last photo.

I've only made one tweeter so far, but it looks like this design will work just fine.

perforated_steel.jpg

Online metals has .106" thick perforated steel sheets with 51% open area. I used a Ryobi flooring saw with a 5-3/8" steel-cutting blade to slice up the sheets. That worked a lot better than I expected, without making a mess.

After a small amount of sanding the cut lines, I painted the cut plates and glued on the magnets with epoxy. The diaphragms were round, but I used a bench sander to allow closer spacing. The housing for the diaphragms measure about 2.7mm thick, so the 3mm magnets work great.

4_diaphragms.jpg

And then CAREFULLY put on the top grid. You need to watch your fingers because the pieces will try to snap together violently.

prototype.jpg

The prototype works, and I only have to make 23 more :). Notice that this can be used as a dipole, which is what I intend to do for this line array. The midrange array will have 28 TC6 2" drivers on each side, along with a 12" ripole woofer for each array.

The DSP/amp is done, and all the channels work and can be individually controlled. However, it still needs more code to control the curvature and shading. The ripole woofers will have their own amps. There is more info on the DSP/amp at this link: http://www.audiodevelopers.com/2024/03/17/another-prototype-line-array-amp/
1717440827570.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I haven't measured these yet, so I don't know where to set the crossover frequencies. I know that the full array will go much lower than a single tweeter, but it will be a while before I can measure them.

There is probably a way to calculate the frequency response of multiple drivers in a vertical array from the single-driver response, but I don't know the formula. When I made the vertical array with 96 1/2" drivers, the response surprised me, but I haven't measured that one yet, either.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yep--there will be a total of 12 unique tweeter channels and 7 unique midrange channels, with symmetry about the centerline, so that it looks like 24 tweeter channels and 14 midrange channels. That's enough to implement electronic curvature with relatively low error, or at least, that is what I convinced myself of many years ago when I made the array in this article: http://www.audiodevelopers.com/10-case-study-3-a-line-array-with-dsp/. I am building this one to replace that older version, because it is too hard to make changes to the DSP on that older version. Once I get this new one working, I'm going to update that older one with the newer DSP and software.

BTW, these channel counts are just for one side. The other side for stereo has its own 24-channel DSP/amp, so there are a total of 48 unique channels available. Two of the channels for each side are dedicated for a woofer and a subwoofer. For this line array, there are three channels on each side that aren't used.

Last edited: