Anechoic Chambers & Moving Blankets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm scoping out the best location to do some speaker FR testing. Because I don't have access to a fancy anechoic chamber, I'd like to test outside with the speaker elevated 6-8ft off the ground. Unfortunately, the homes surrounding my property are a tad close. For example, when I walk outside to "the spot" and snap my fingers or talk to myself like a crazy person, I hear a lot of slap and reverberation.

What do ya'll think about creating a make-shift, six sided, anechoic chamber out of moving blankets and 2x4's in the garage? I'm aware that you can do near-field testing, on-plane testing, and work some impluse magic. But, time is a luxury these days and I'd like to set up once and knock out all of my on/off axis testing in an afternoon.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

~Iwan

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You are better off with an open space, ground plane, windowed testing (ARTA) and spend some time in advance learning how. The blankets will not be perfectly absorptive across much of the frequency range. I found having a hard limit makes it much easier to window, since the reflection is unambiguous. For a ground plane a concrete surface is ideal. An absorptive surface will degrade the measurement (tried it). If you can get a space about the size of a basketball court you can measure quite low, below 20 Hz.

More on ground plane testing: Ground Plane Measurements for optimiziing an loudspeaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.