Anthology II or Elsinore Mk6 MFC

Hi guys, somebody alerted me to this thread.

Pete, I can only deduce that you have not heard the MFC drivers as used in the Elsinores. I respect that you have an opinion and I do know that poly cones are looked down upon in the way you speak, but we cannot get the original NRX drivers any more, unless somebody still have left-overs. But I kinda understand where you are coming from.

In terms of transparency and upper midrange, the MFC version of the Elsinores does have an advantage over the NRX version, the series inductor is higher with MFC than NRX. The ratio of external series inductance relative to the less than linear inductance of the driver, getting it up around 4:1 or 5:1 makes a real difference. The effect is similar to current drive.

When well integrated with the waveguide tweeter, that combination does not sound like your typical polycone sound. I too have heard some rather disappointed polycone designs and also the 'voicing' that some designers employ. BTW, I have some classic Vifa P17WJ drivers here, classic in the sense that there is a kind of romance going on. The SB17MFC driver is in a totally different class as a polycone speaker and lends itself to be used in a way that nobody has before, in the Elsinores.. I know both drivers intimately.

Thank you for giving me an opportunity, because it is not something I have spelled out this way on the main Elsinore thread, as that is mainly to help constructors rather than theory of the design.

How do you reckon these two compare? I value clarity and neutrality. What one would you go for?

If you value those things, you will not be disappointed with the Elsinores. Those are the things I value just about above anything else. I want to see in and through the recording. The other thing similarly that I value is balance and the right kind of neutrality. The Elsinores are anything but sterile.

Cheers, Joe

are the NRX2 drivers a drop in replacement?

No, they are not. I was visiting the design centre in Denmark when Ulrik Schmidt the designer showed the NRX2C 'replacement' actually had a pre-production unit in my hand. Only later did I realise that the change was far more substantial, the cone being rather heavier, lower efficiency and sensitivity (many thing they are the same, they are not) and I realised that the other alternative was the MFC version. Ironically when I visited Troels Gravesen, I got the impression that he thought I should have gone the MFC route first, as it transpired, that is how it eventually turned out.