Anyone care to critique my first Ki Cad project? - Linkwitz Transform

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Thanks for the knowledge above Tom.

Here is the latest revised schematic and board layout. I dont expect folks to keep holding my hand but I add the new revision here for completeness.
Got rid of the series resistors and followed the schematic designations; adding a little footnote to the PCB for clarity. Added means to short the open input to gnd.

Practised with plotting to gerbers and I managed to upload to JLCPB without errors so im happy with that process.

1718301908251.png

1718301829744.png

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Top traces can be under components. First off, because components are generally in some kind of plastic package. Secondly, because the board will have solder mask on top, so the copper is isolated from the components by a film.

You have acid traps on the sound end of R9 and the west end of R5. Acid traps are where copper meets at an acute angle. In the old days you'd get over-etching in those spots. Modern PCB processes are designed to avoid that, so traps aren't the issue they once were. It's still not a good practice to have traces come together at acute angles.

You could just flip C13 in the schematic. That error traces back to there.

I find your decision to use SMD capacitors for the bypass caps on the opamp a bit odd. What size are those? 0603? They'll be "fun" to solder by hand if you're much older than 40... :)

Tom

Reactions: 1 user
I find your decision to use SMD capacitors for the bypass caps on the opamp a bit odd. What size are those? 0603? They'll be "fun" to solder by hand if you're much older than 40... :)
SMT decoupling caps are much lower inductance, and if you have any sense you use an oven to reflow SMT (such as converted sandwich toaster!). For example a mix of 0603, 0805 and SOIC:

smt_soldering.jpg

Its all about using the right tools - be it magnifiers, non-magnetic tweezers, stencils, ovens - I took up SMT later in life, its not as scary as many think is my point...

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Point taken about acid traps.
SMD caps local to opamp power pins because I'm fine with 0805 and even 0603 and I was advised to keep as close as possible.
Thanks again for the advice. Small run of boards coming along with a load of other stuff from JLC. Shall do some trialling.