Are cardboard enclosures any good?

This is my competition: the Wharfedale Diamond 4 purchased used for about $50 with shipping from Sri Lanka. It was a gift, let's say. I was going for a speaker half the price when the interior designing department objected. These a finely balanced speakers with good bass. Age may have dampened its response though.

A review is here:

1675046458776.png

but what would I brace it with? More cardboard?
One thing you could try if you're dead set on using cardboard for the frame, is cut the cardboard into strips and glue-up for just the face frame. might be hard to cut the hole but it would be stronger. I've seen people glue up edge grain on cheap plywood etc. for the face to make it stronger.

Reactions: 1 user
Great thread BasicH, I actually just finished my DYI 1.0 desktop system with cardboard speakers last night. Sitting here listing to Holst "The Planets" in the background and it sounds fantastic. I assumed your thread would be about DML speakers -- I assume most people on this forum are somewhere between "heard about" and "totally sick of" that topic; save for the real experts who don't want to talk to you unless you have 2 engineering degrees and read patents for fun. As speakers, I think cardboard is fantastic, in fact, plenty of speakers are made of paper. But enclosures?

I was not convinced about DML but here is this video. Quote " We have some $1000 floor standing speakers and these (DML) sound almost as good."
Looks like I should try DML.

Here is the video. Not sure if the DML thread has seen this. Will post it there as well...

Last edited:
I think the guys on the DML thread are well past youtube videos and into their own original research and patents, but if you can generate some feedback I'd be interested.

I have the 6$ exciters and they are very good with a 18"x36" cardboard box in a box shape (or reduced to a triangle footprint) with the exciter facing the listener as in my pic. The medium that gets the most attention on Youtube is polystyrene insulation. I tried it but I thought cardboard was better. That may be because I have the little guys. I bought a larger exciter for 26$ that just arrived today, and I will be trying it on the polystyrene. Not sure I'll have time tonight; will see.

I have some presently unused Energy surround speakers that were probably 120$+ each 20 years ago. My home depot box speakers sound way better than those, isn't even close, unless it's very heavy music -- tech death etc. I have some studio monitors that were 300$ for the pair maybe? They have 6.5" drivers and support bi-amp wiring -- pretty heavy duty. My 6$ solution vs. those is a tie save for the lack of bass. On their own, overall, I have to say the monitors sound better, but with just a trickle of bass from my 6.5" woofer with 25w plate amp, it's about a tie unless it's rock. Cellos, classical guitar, vocals, I think sound better on the 6$ guys. But the other thing is these are 26 inches away from my ears. So the DMLs have an enveloping effect and with proper bass support aren't as harsh as the studios are. To sway me to the monitors, I'd have to position them out a little more where I don't have room.

The big question now is how is this 40w unit going to compare to the little 6$ 5 watt guy. For sitting at my desk, it's hard to imagine better sound as it is. It's lacking midrange for sure, but I'm a child of the 80s equalizer that sucked out the mids so to me this is great. I definitely do NOT need anything louder or more powerful for the desk, so the big question is can the larger exciter provide better range without sacrificing the great highs, as I'm sure I can learn to appreciate proper mids.

Some difficult news. The DAEX32ESP-4 (only one) arrived and I did a bunch of testing. the polystyrene board definitely sounds better with this guy than the box in "press against" testing without committing to glue. Also, there is not the same advantage of the exciter facing the listener -- that part is good.

Worried that I've been victimized by confirmation bias, I tried a small one again against the polystyrene. It definitely sounds better facing the listener. Compared to the box? I'm too tired now to tell. Will have to try again.

Seems to solve the problem of mids. Are the highs equal to the little guy? not sure.

Well, the pink insulation square isn't going to fit my space as nicely -- will have to think of something.

Cardboard comes in a lot of different densities and strengths.
Friend makes boxes, he had a sample in, bursting force was 40 kilos, the paper sold here is 9, or 12 at most, so he would need imported paper to make the boxes.
So people making boxes from cardboard would need some indication of the type of cardboard used.

You could buy speaker boxes intended for cars / home use from makers or scrap.
I bought a pair of 6 x 9 from scrap, had to get them repaired, cost me about as much as new after that.

After trying different ideas, I made a drawing and went to a local speaker builder, he said oh, here you are...$5, (Indian Rupees 400), for a pair of MDF boxes, screws free, a little extra for 2 meters wire.
They are a ready product for him.
I was wasting my time doing a design for a new box..

Soldered wire, drilled holes, mounted plastic stand offs, screwed in speakers, tested.
Still needs grilles, that will be later.
Project over, now in storage.

Just go over to the scrap market, find some item that seems useful, and do it.
If needed, go to a place who can machine it for you.

Best, buy old speakers, do cosmetic maintenance, mostly I find they are disposed off due to people moving, or ladies saying it is obsolete, or does not meet their idea of what should be in the house.
Not because they are faulty.

Last edited:
I would use cardboard to form a tube that the driver flange just fit in. I would then add three more layers to that and mount this in a four layers of cardboard thick baffle. Fill the back of the tube behind the driver with fiberglass packed in there. Make the tube length three to five times the diameter of the driver. Leave the back end of the tube open. You have a speaker. By building the baffle separate from the enclosure you avoid the problems with the flexible walls of a rectangular box enclosure. If you got fancy the tube could taper to the rear. The tube enclosure will not flex in anyway and will provide an excellent enclosure. The thick flat front baffle can be made large and you can even fold or bend the edges and produce chamfered low diffraction edges. With some white glue and some hot glue and sufficient cardboard you should easily produce a cabinet that outperforms your reference box speaker. Amazon delivers enough cardboard to my house to build a new pair of large speakers every few days. I may have to just try it.

Last edited:
Cellos, classical guitar, vocals, I think sound better on the 6$ guys. But the other thing is these are 26 inches away from my ears. So the DMLs have an enveloping effect and with proper bass support aren't as harsh as the studios are.
Maybe you can answer the question why everything in audio is so upside down, with cheap stuff being better than expensive stuff, single transistor amps are better than multi transistor amps, cheap speakers are better than expensive stuff. What is happening here?

I never would have pursued any experiments if the smaller, cheaper stuff did not sound so good. DIY is fun to boot.

Is there a Philosophy of Hi Fi forum or maybe a History of Hi Fi forum? I need to get some clarity on this. Maybe the lounge...

Just go over to the scrap market, find some item that seems useful, and do it.
If needed, go to a place who can machine it for you.
These are all options. There is a difference here, I am not building these speakers for myself, it is an experiment to see how basic I can get, how quickly and cheaply I can put together speakers for the hobbyist or young person just starting out. These are the kinds of things I wish I had when I was a teenager, listening to my casette stereo and headphones and cassette tapes.

For example, I built this 'enclosure' in 6 minutes, and installed the speaker in another 10 minutes. 16 minutes total. The finish is not good since it is a prototype, but I was amazed at the clarity and definition of these speakers, yes I left the tweeter on this time. I had a great listening session to Sade in the afternoon. Every instrument was clear, and the voice had more expression. The bass is present though discreet. Altogether enjoyable with EQ shown.

Scale model out of thin card:

1675165509076.png

Folded baffle

1675165664276.png

Completed prototype
1675165733010.png

EQ That had to be used...

1675165807481.png

Any suggestions on the dimensions, height, depth, driver placement? Sounds good to me, could be better. I want to extend the bottom section and make it a floor stander of 1 metre height. Speaker placement is important and must be designed in to the speaker.

Would a port or passive radiator do any good?

Width: 12.5 cm, Height: 33 cm, Depth: 12 cm. The side baffles are held in place with a slotted piece of corrugated cardboard.

Maybe you can answer the question why everything in audio is so upside down, with cheap stuff being better than expensive stuff, single transistor amps are better than multi transistor amps, cheap speakers are better than expensive stuff. What is happening here?
It's not. Maybe it sounds better to you because you happen to like the added distortion, or maybe because things you make yourself always sound better.

The track on the left sounds better than the track on the right. Is this what compression is about, and should I compress all my files to make them sound better on my system? Any drawbacks?
It's well known that louder sounds better. Just turn the volume up rather than altering the source files.

For those who in very good faith suggested multlaminated cardboard, rigid tubes, epoxy impregnated walls, foam and plastic walls, different composite materials and more delights, THIS is what this junk thread is really about

1675165733010-png.1137013

I´ll let you imagine the usefulness of such nonsense add-ons(here) such as
a port or passive radiator

Maybe somebody can simulate this cabinet to please the OP? :rolleyes:

Suggest port diameter and length?
Suggest a passive radiator which will enhance Bass?

Would LOVE to see results.

Scale model out of thin card:

View attachment 1137011

Folded baffle
That's a good start. I would angle the sides at 45 degrees, add two more layers of cardboard to the front baffle so the driver is flush mounted, and then roll up a tube of cardboard 2 feet long, hot glue it to the back of the baffle and fill it with fiberglass insulation packed pretty dense. Maybe hot glue a bottom and top on there to hold the sides at 45 degrees. You're in business. Oh and ignore all the barking old dogs on this thread and have fun. The dogs will bark but the train leaves the station anyway.