Asathor - a JBL 4367 Clone

I was very curious about the sound of these speakers and I finally finished Asathor. I was surprised by the sound, very balanced, dry bass, voices without harshness. Very satisfied. One question. If I wanted a slightly airier sound (as if I wanted a little more brightness in the voices :)) ...is there any possibility?
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240628_111326.jpg
    20240628_111326.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240624_203007.jpg
    20240624_203007.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, replace the CD+horn to an AMT or ribbon.
Nothing but pure nonsense.
If I wanted a slightly airier sound (as if I wanted a little more brightness in the voices :)) ...is there any possibility?
I forgot to mention that I used LaVoce F10.172M for treble
There is.
You could try to reduce the 10 ohm in series with the 172 to 8,2 or 7,5 ohm.
Or add a small amount of "mid-range" by increasing the 6,8µF series capacitor to 7,5 or 8,2 µF.
Both options will give you a precieved impression of a more "airy" presentation.
To avoid going back and forth, I would first try the resistance option. Make a switch on the back for 10R, 9R1, 8R2 & 7R5.
That way, you could change option according to the music, you play ;)
Of course, you could do the same with capacitor values. Have a combination of both.

Reactions: 3 users
I was very curious about the sound of these speakers and I finally finished Asathor. I was surprised by the sound, very balanced, dry bass, voices without harshness. Very satisfied. One question. If I wanted a slightly airier sound (as if I wanted a little more brightness in the voices :)) ...is there any possibility?
Thank you.
I would not be to hasty in adjusting. If you are not used to the sound from this sized speaker with strong directivity, it might sound a less "airy" than a traditional smaller speaker that is a less directionality.

Last edited:
Nothing but pure nonsense.

There is.
You could try to reduce the 10 ohm in series with the 172 to 8,2 or 7,5 ohm.
Or add a small amount of "mid-range" by increasing the 6,8µF series capacitor to 7,5 or 8,2 µF.
Both options will give you a precieved impression of a more "airy" presentation.
To avoid going back and forth, I would first try the resistance option. Make a switch on the back for 10R, 9R1, 8R2 & 7R5.
That way, you could change option according to the music, you play ;)
Of course, you could do the same with capacitor values. Have a combination of both.
Thank you very much for the suggestions, Boydk , today I ordered the whole set of resistors and capacitors to try.
But I want to say that I think I could live with what I hear now, I've been listening to different genres of music all day. Very relaxing with a surprisingly nice bass.

Thank you very much, I'm delighted that you like my Asathor.
Boydk has already given you a few options for customizing it to your taste. Just try it out and if you like another value in the x-over more, everything is fine.
poleepkwa is also right. Speakers like the Asathor don't sound airy enough for many people at first because there aren't as many reflections in the high frequencies.
Once you get used to this, you may suddenly perceive speakers with a wider dispersion as somewhat diffuse in comparison.

Cheers

Reactions: 2 users
Once you get used to this, you may suddenly perceive speakers with a wider dispersion as somewhat diffuse in comparison.
Second that.
One of my friends has been building speakers for more that 40 years.
Remember way back, when he presented a construction with 2 x 12" Kevlar, and a midrange and tweeter with inverted ceramic
membranes. Think the German company´s name was Thiel or Thiele.
At first, these to me sounded kind of lame, but after several hours, I had to admit, that absolutely nothing was missing.
Just a totally different way of doing the midrange- and treble presentation. After some time you had to admit,
that this was far more correct to listen to.
I went the other way with the Asathor´s. I found them a little bright (Peerles/Tymphany CD) and lowered the cap. value (very little)
and increased the series resistance instead. 99% happy customer now.
I know, this was on a budget, but still looking for a compression driver with a bit more easy presentation without
blowing my economy. Of course I´ll have to redo the crossover.
@Rese66 ........ If you have a suggestion, I´d love to hear it ;)

Last edited:
The name is Thiel & Partner or Accuton. We have also had experience with them, but unfortunately they are very expensive.
Here is a picture from our meeting:

Telos.jpg

https://www.der-akustische-untergrund.de/dates/d-a-u-treffen/7-d-a-u-treffen-aug-18/

Of course, there are also compression drivers that you could use instead of the Tymphany or LaVoce. I recently did a project with the RCF CD350, which I also really liked.
In our group, we also designed the Albany with this driver - even with the same horn that is used in the Asathor:
https://www.donhighend.de/?page_id=9829

But of course Faital, B&C, Oberton etc. also have suitable candidates. ;)

Last edited:
You have to note that the x-over circuit in the Albany has a significantly different structure. The woofer is wired with 24dB and LCR, with the Asathor it is only 12dB plus LCR. The x-over of the tweeters are similar, but in order to generate a correct sum, the polarity has to be reversed.

Reactions: 1 user