baby University Classic folded midbass horn ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a 0.7 scale University Classic loaded with appropriate 12 "might" work well - might not - would be a pretty box at around 28"x22"x17"

guesstimate

j36Okqg.jpg

Ml4LU9Q.jpg

zvXW2tC.jpg

TmsTjQw.jpg

5EGPNLP.jpg

q4rYPFc.jpg

LjpnlrD.jpg

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice sim Freddi. The Uni Classic is a great speaker from what I can tell based on sims and testimonies. It is very sensitive with around 105dB at 1w 1m if given the right driver. Bass extension seems to be maybe 70Hz. The bandwidth is huge though.

So I appreciate any effort to make it smaller though as it is very big. Originally designed for a single 18, it can take dual 15in drivers as it is rather a wide box.

If only going down to 100Hz in your case here, what do you plan to use for the sub?

hi X, for 100 down, I've got a tapped pipe with Infinity 1260W, other stuff - even a little 10" Polk sub would help

Classic used a C15W 15" speaker - I have one 12pe32 loaded into a Karlson 12 so am woofer ready - also I've a pair of Cobraflex in my mess

here's a picture of someone's Classic with back chamber door removed - Cobraflex has a long path and relatively small split mouth

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here's my lone 12pe32 in K12 next to a "Large Advent"

ecq5I6B.jpg

I'm not real far from a Classic with this custom 7 cubic foot bulk horn - it goes lower I think than a
0.7 scale Classic

a Baby Classic is something that just is a high curiosity ;^) - i could never find anyone capable of making its
compound angle throat pieces before TheJessMan

Bill Woods says the geometry of this horn will limit its highs with 12pe32 vs the Community woofer I'm running
and only introduce a tilted ("up") response with 12pe32 - I should have compared them before installing the woofer
and screwing down the lid. I don't know how well a 0.7 classic would behave above ~350Hz (?)

8qag2Xo.jpg

5/8" Baltic birch for the shell and most pieces other than woofer baffle is plenty rigid for this size horn as there's bracing
from back panel to back chamber and from back chamber to mouth

for a "big" sound vs cone displacement, Karlson are tough to beat or even equal

Last edited:
the current 7 cubic foot basshorn behaves as follows with a cheap Community "buyout" speaker - -the proposed baby Classic would have cutoff a bit higher - but the scaled Classic may not go any higher - it might be worse (?)

TMjjNsq.gif

free air Z of the Community speaker

zGTHkyQ.gif

Community 12 in horn vs hornresp prediction - the 7 cubic foot bulk horn is tuned to ~56Hz
-there was about a half ohm of wire resistance in this impedance measurement

uLxQCS3.jpg

Last edited:
I need some (new) Karlsons/XKi/Karlsonators first :D

Klipsch page - the S9 Classic horn is considered to sound better than Klipsch heritage horns

I'll have to read this thread

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/146927-the-rebirth-of-the-university-classics/&page=3

for some reason it looks like the back chamber on the right cabinet had been significantly reduced in volume

I hope with a 0.7 scale attempt that most modern drivers with a pancake ferrite slug would fit

I LOVE the looks of the S9 !!!!!

IMG_2259.jpg

This DIY version with the basshorn sitting on the throat ramps(no "side"), final reflector exposed, and plexi access window
makes it look somewhat Space-Age

post-33317-0-67980000-1399571478.jpg

Last edited:
my builder has whipped the tough part - the compound angle throat - the finished assembly should be plenty rigid being made of 15mm Baltic birch plywood with lots of bracing.

there's wasted space in this cabinet - the back chamber will need to be reduced in volume quite a bit for a 10" speaker, then the area around the fancy throat eats up more space

would it look best clear-coated? - stained/dyed? - two tone ?

hopefully, it will work well enough to really play and not just be an oversized "model" :D

YVvW3a2.jpg

wPa8Uw1.jpg

Last edited:
It would be "this size" (drawing by TheJessMan)

folded horns generally have some coloration from cavity and secondary panel resonance effects. I do like this form factor and aspect

fugDQFw.png

For a 70% size, the compound angle throat is very difficult to calcul.
If you could give all the dimensions of your project (or a CAO file ?) I will also try to do it :eek:
If you could I promise to share REW measurements with JBL2225h. (+250Hz horn with 2446h for 400 to 6000hz and 2402a up -and multiple 15" sub-)
Otherwise, if you could not, it will be the Belle...

I'll have to as the builder what he has to share. It may not be worth building - it'll have to be tested. It's probably fully assembled or will be soon and will need a finish. I need to decide whether for it to be stained "gunstock" on the outside - inside - or whole cabinet.

RCA-Fan mentioned the cavity formed by the horn shell and throat assembly, if left opened, will create a notch around 500Hz

it would be nice top have a good cone-driven horn for midrange but I don't know which current drivers really perform well on midhorns.

Q3z30Jb.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.