Bass frequency issues regarding bass. Speakers are TL/Ported?

Hello everyone its Bazza.
So an add on to previous thread, about the bass. Iv done a low frequency test from 25hz to 150hz amd this is what I got. Up to 49hz nothing 50hz it begins up to 75hz. From 75hz to 120hz ish flattens out onwards to 150hz.
What I don't get is this, songs that I know produce the hi pressure in the gut type bass I should get...but...I don't! I get instead a vibration a heavy type, can feel it on the floor the sofa everywhere! !. I don't understand? During the sweep 25hz to 50hz I got no vibration, from 50 to 75hz good good bass no issues with vibration it wss solid.
Please guys n gals helpe me out

Room modes. Below 300hz the room totally dominates. 50-150hz is often counted as the bass modal range.
Suggest you read up on room modes, multiple sub approach etc.

To get you good advices, i suggest you make a sketcup of your room in question. And size in sqm or similar.

Also we have no info on your speakers and/or subwoofers in question. That might also give some useful clues.

The more good info you give, the easier it is for someone to assist you with your problem🙂

Reactions: 1 user

GM

Joined 2003
Hello everyone its Bazza.
So an add on to previous thread, about the bass. Iv done a low frequency test from 25hz to 150hz amd this is what I got. Up to 49hz nothing 50hz it begins up to 75hz. From 75hz to 120hz ish flattens out onwards to 150hz.
Greets!

Need to know room/home construction since it appears to have a very high, but reasonably well damped fundamental room mode whereas mine is down around 14 Hz and not well damped with the disastrous results I post when appropriate:

We were to find the downside to meeting this goal though as retuned to 14 Hz it 'rained down' the ceiling and its stored contents on us during a U-571 BD depth charge scene, so apparently my floating floor, stick built frame house that I presumed had a single digit Fs is actually ~14 Hz. :eek::yikes::sigh:

Reactions: 2 users
Ok.. I live in birmingham u.k.
In an old brick house. Only these speakers I have an issue with the low bass. Room iMO has good acoustic. .
Hope the picture helps

IMG_20240621_202205.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Greets!

Need to know room/home construction since it appears to have a very high, but reasonably well damped fundamental room mode whereas mine is down around 14 Hz and not well damped with the disastrous results I post when appropriate:
So the best I could do was to scribble on a sheet of paper. The speakers I have had only for a few months with no drawings of its design. The picture of the speakers I have had to estimate what's going on inside using a metal coat hanger. At the bottom I just took out the B139, there I saw the angled wood kind of directing the wave up and below there ay the the back was that nice curve also helping the wave up wards...

+1 on the room/reading. Go into the next room (etc) and have someone else test the 25-50 and see what you notice, too.
Yea I tried it and got nothing, even lent on the door still got nothing. Did a continues frequency of 40hz.. nothing. I went close to the B139. .it was moving and I got a feeling of bass but I don't want to cranck it up so what to do naw?
Shall I remove the speakers behind and raise this one. . Mite get something going on?

Ok.. I live in birmingham u.k.
In an old brick house. Only these speakers I have an issue with the low bass. Room iMO has good acoustic. .
Hope the picture helps
Bazza,

The positions of your speakers and their boundary reflections will cause problems like you are experiencing. Placing them against the wall opposite your couch would reduce many of the issues.
Screen Shot 2024-06-23 at 10.17.42 PM.png

http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker-placement-boundary-interference/
The phase relation between your two speaker types if they are both covering low frequency range is another issue.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I gathered I don't think they are transmission line speakers. Really I don't know what the builder's intention was. At the first listen of the speakers I had zero bass, why? The whole of the inside was tightly and mean very tightly
Commpressd wool. I took the wool all out, I was amazed of the quantity.
I tried to put some in behind the B139, the first chamber. The wool didn't have an even density, some of it is balls some like light fluff.

I'm gonna remove the 770's and put these speakers their on a stand (some old speakers will do) and go from there.
This got me thinking, my other TL speakers (Pro 9 TL mk1) sound was much better when i had them closer to the front wall. It's gonna be allot of work but im gona do it!

I've removed the 770's and placed these speakers where they were, naw sitting on a 5inch block of dence polystyrene for naw only to lift off the ground. Improvement of sound =yes and in the lower basd also! ! Whoo hooo!!
So it was placement and lift that did the trick. Know I have to add damping material to fine tune.
Thanks guys really appreciate your help