Bass frequency issues regarding bass. Speakers are TL/Ported?

Yeah, with the sofa/ears back at the room's fundamental odd harmonic, the closer the speakers to the opposite wall the better.

The bay window is acting as a bass trap at some BW, so best to use very dense drapes/whatever to block it off during audio playback.

The pioneers started with wool for woofers, speakers in general and wads of 4/0 stainless steel? mesh for compression drivers, so you're in good 'company'. (y):cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Gm I don't understand?
TL/horn theory has a flare factor (conical, expo, hyperbolic, parabolic, radial) and frequency (cut-off) spec.

Horn flare chart_Slide10.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, with the sofa/ears back at the room's fundamental odd harmonic, the closer the speakers to the opposite wall the better.

The bay window is acting as a bass trap at some BW, so best to use very dense drapes/whatever to block it off during audio playback.

The pioneers started with wool for woofers, speakers in general and wads of 4/0 stainless steel? mesh for compression drivers, so you're in good 'company'. (y):cool:
Ok, blocking off the Window area can o use 2in very dense polystyrene? I some, it's what we are yousing for external insulation? Regarding dampening the speaker, in the picture I have shown the 1in piece of wood splitting the rear sound wave into 2. So half goes straight up and the other travels to the back and then up. Question is how much of the wool I have should o use? And at what density? Also how high?

IMG_20240626_171426 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, blocking off the Window area can o use 2in very dense polystyrene?

I have shown the 1in piece of wood splitting the rear sound wave into 2. So half goes straight up and the other travels to the back and then up.

Question is how much of the wool I have should o use? And at what density? Also how high?
Sure! As long as it's clamped/weighted/whatever so it's inert in the > ~500 Hz BW.

The divider is way too short to do this in the cab's passband, so basically just an internal stiffener, eigenmode/standing wave deflector to keep it from possibly 'drumming' between the top, bottom plates.

Short of doing impedance sweeps, it's basically a fill to personal 'taste' sound wise and no experience with wool.

So an update. .I filled in chamber B139 and the wood at angle hight. Fairly medium density like a soft sponge. I left the amplifier on for an hour or so and then had I listen, I'm probably being biased towards the conclusion but it felt tighter, deeper in control. I'm using a Sony Ta1144 amplifier.

Yes I have the floating floor type. With my previous Pro9 speakers and these we have been discussing, due to the amount of weight the speakers are (35kg) possibly more, sound vibration still travels through the cones. The cones are for speakers, I may need another layer of decoupling. The stands I use for other speakers are the linn, thay are open with square 1in metal structure. Thay have spikes for the floor and spikes for under the speakers. I thinck I will try the concrete approach with spikes under and ontop for speakers.

I have learned allot during the course of this thread. Thank you. I hope it helps others also.