big bandpass The fatboy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
quote: Originally posted by Helmuth Hi paolo, The planar does nothing wrong. Exerpt it do not have the bandwith ...... :)
Precise.

I have listened to the new placed reflex pipe,

The sound is tighter with the bigger pipe. And so it sound more precise.

:cool:

I did not direct expect audible differences. But it wasn't wasted energy to replace the pipe in this case.

Fatboy measured,

Measured in the garden at 1meter.

1mtrfatboy.jpg

Measured in the garden at 2 mtr.

2mtrbuiten.jpg

1mtr green 2mtr yellow, garden black in the livingroom.

1mtr2mt.jpg

Impulse
impulse-2.jpg

Waterfall

waterval.jpg

Regards, Helmuth

inertial said:
Nice work, Helmuth ! :cool:

For my personal taste I see a bit too much "tweeter" IMO......:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Paolo

See this screen shot the black line measured in listening position both channels on, there is no to high level there. The green and yellow are outside on 1m and 2m
1mtr2mt.jpg

And I think you shout not look only on axes, but have a good average level for al the angles. So a bit to high on axes and perfect level around 15 degrees and a bit lower for 30 and 45 degrees.

See also this measurement the last pages.

MLS

Helmuth said:

See this screen shot the black line measured in listening position both channels on, there is no to high level there. The green and yellow are outside on 1m and 2m
1mtr2mt.jpg

And I think you shout not look only on axes, but have a good average level for al the angles. So a bit to high on axes and perfect level around 15 degrees and a bit lower for 30 and 45 degrees.

See also this measurement the last pages.

MLS

Sorry Helmuth, been there. I remain on my statement.:angel:
How do they sound? Like a thiel ? or Triangle? or JMR? or a old ProAc?:D

Cheers,
Paolo

inertial said:

Sorry Helmuth, been there. I remain on my statement.:angel:
How do they sound? Like a thiel ? or Triangle? or JMR? or a old ProAc?:D

Cheers,
Paolo
They sound like a original Lageschaar. I had to music lovers listening to the Fatboy they liked the speaker because the sound image stays intact also on low SPL-level.

I am DIY Paolo all those brands only Thiel I know. The MTM does what it is designed for good horizontal of axes.

The best speaker I hear was of my colleague. The Dynaudio C2, although they are in some points to soft for example with brass instruments. There is always some thing to find it is a very good speaker to my ears.

The configuration of the set of Raymond. Interlinks of 1300 euro :hot:
Raymond.jpg

Helmuth said:

They sound like a original Lageschaar. I had to music lovers listening to the Fatboy they liked the speaker because the sound image stays intact also on low SPL-level.
This is very good indicator IMO. :cool:

I am DIY Paolo all those brands only Thiel I know. The MTM does what it is designed for good horizontal of axes.

The best speaker I hear was of my colleague. The Dynaudio C2, although they are in some points to soft for example with brass instruments. There is always some thing to find it is a very good speaker to my ears.[/B]

You are right dear Helmuth, sometimes I am a bit too "direct" :D:
I don't know the C2. Only the Sapphire just listened: decent but nothing of special, IMO.
They are generally " precise,clear and fast" , but the bass zone is a bit dry for my taste.

The configuration of the set of Raymond. Interlinks of 1300 euro :hot:
[/B]

:D: You know, I am not so passionate for cables, anyway I like old Monster Cable Sigma series, but also the little brothers 1500 and 1000 ..:cannotbe:

Cheers,
Paolo

inertial said:

This is very good indicator IMO.

I had today some idea's to improve performance around 200Hz and how to get the high frequency more flat. The speaker was designed on theory and listening I was surprised it all ready worked out like this.

:D: You know, I am not so passionate for cables, anyway I like old Monster Cable Sigma series, but also the little brothers 1500 and 1000 ..:cannotbe:

Cheers,
Paolo

Here are are some guys how make hier own carbon cables. There is nice raw material for laminating to build your own cables.

Only the Sapphire just listened: decent but nothing of special, IMO. They are generally " precise,clear and fast" , but the bass zone is a bit dry for my taste.
The bass response is depending on the room but in the case of the set of Raymond it sound relaxed controlled and powerful.

Helmuth said:

I had today some idea's to improve performance around 200Hz and how to get the high frequency more flat. The speaker was designed on theory and listening I was surprised it all ready worked out like this.
Good so :)

Here are are some guys how make hier own carbon cables. There is nice raw material for laminating to build your own cables.
[/B]

Carbon? I remember some VdHs ( signal cable) but the performance was not so wonderful for my system.... rolleyes

The bass response is depending on the room but in the case of the set of Raymond it sound relaxed controlled and powerful. [/B]

Ok, I was talking in general. Normally the bass-zone of a Dynaudio it is not like ,to say, a Wilson.
Question of tastes and fine tuning also,of course :D:

Cheers,
Paolo

Looking good Helmuth! Did you leave the response as it was? I imagine they would sound ever so slightly bright and dry like that - is that how you like it?

I really like that you've gone beyond the standard sealed or ported box and had a go at a bandpass design for bass. This is, I believe, very rarely used in DIY - probably because it's harder to use. I can't think of many commercial designs to use this loading technique either but I think Kef did a few 3 or 4 way speakers with it.

Anyway, superb work there.

Simon

Looking good Helmuth! Did you leave the response as it was? I imagine they would sound ever so slightly bright and dry like that - is that how you like it?

I really like that you've gone beyond the standard sealed or ported box and had a go at a bandpass design for bass. This is, I believe, very rarely used in DIY - probably because it's harder to use. I can't think of many commercial designs to use this loading technique either but I think Kef did a few 3 or 4 way speakers with it.

Anyway, superb work there.

Simon

Hi Simon,

The final response is changed a bit I could not stop modifying it. The Visaton TI100 are bright detailed and have a good of axes due the 10cm cone. So it fitted the sound I guess.

I sold it to a brother in law. It is a fine sounding speaker the bandpass was clean and warm sounding. And the D'appolito configuration did make a wide sound stage in this setup.

The man how owns them now had a old audax two way BR system. It was like the sound stage dropped to the floor when switching from the fatboy to the audax.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.