Bob Cordell Interview: BJT vs. MOSFET

john curl said:
Relays work OK, IF you have enough devices in parallel as to not have instantaneous second breakdown in bipolar transistors.
Ideally, I would not use an output relay, but it works and I still can achieve a class A rating on my best power amp, even with an output relay and +/- 80V+ supplies. The output relay is fast enough to work, because 10mS should be tolerated by virtually any amp, before protection cuts in.
Most of you on this website, do not use enough complementary pairs of output devices for a given supply voltage. This allows the potential problem of second breakdown, as well as limited peak output current. For the record I use 9pairs for 400W into 8 ohms and typically 6pairs for 250W, and maybe 2pairs for 125W. We buy in Asia, and the parts must be cheaper there, because we can afford to use them.

Sounds good to me, John.

I'm actually happy that this thread has now touched on protection circuits.

I know that some are averse to putting a relay contact in the speaker signal path, but that probably depends an awful lot on the quality of the relay one uses. I did one design where I put the relay inside the negative feedback loop, and it seemed to work pretty well. I used a diode-based bypass scheme to make sure the FB loop remained closed when the relay was open. Have you ever tried anything like that?

Speaking of relays, another approach is to use the relay to deliberately short the output to ground under a fault condition in order to protect the speaker. This of course means that the output stage needs to be either shut down at that point or be able to tolerate a dead short. When my crowbar circuit trips and kills gate drive, it also activates a relay to short the output. That way, if the MOSFETs for some reason are fried to a short circuit (thus conducting lots of current even in the absence of gate drive) the speakers remain protected. In addition to all of that, I use rail fuses, but they should generally never go unless something really fatal in the amplifier has happened.

I agree that often enough paralleled output transistors are not used. Actually, compared to the cost of transformers and heat sinks and reservoir capacitors, output transistors are not terribly expensive, and skimping on them may be foolish. If enough paralleled transistors are used, virtually any output protection circuit can have a high enough trigger point to be not intrusive at all.

Cheers,
Bob

jacco vermeulen said:

Mr Curl,

output devices like the ones you've chosen for the big Parasounds can nowadays be bought for 1/4-1/5th of the rate they went for 20 years ago, even by a diyA fool.
The average EE on this forum apparantly has no different views with regard to output stages than the non-audio EEs i've conversed power amplifier issues with decades ago.
The EE seems to hold the view that reduced dissipation thanks to class AB operation justifies using a minimal output device number, the non-EE ampy constructor here is hoping for the biggest bang for the least invested dollars and spends as little as he can on the parts that don't come NOS.

Hey, not all of us EEs skimp on output transistors! :).

Actually, for those who correctly use enough output transistors, they must be mindful of the need to provide good enough driver circuits to handle the capacitance.

Bob

AndrewT said:
Hi Bob & John,

these various power output stages and the fuses to protect the outside world.

for each of 125W, 250W and 400W into 8ohm arrangements and assuming each are designed to drive 4r , can you specify your preference for rail fuses?

I would always put in a close rated T (delay) mains fuse and I/V protection (probably 2slope) and my preference would then be rail fuses to take care of the longer term excess current draw. A DC detect combined with either rail fuse crowbars or output relay would be the final stage of long term protection.

Taking G's example for a 100W 8r stereo amplifier. Mains T1.6A(220Vac) or T3.1(110Vac), Rail F2.5A. These fuse values allow soft startup and continuous draw of 300W and peak output currents of 40V/8r=5Apk.

I would tend to size my rail fuses so that they blow when the amplifier is asked to deliver its maximum power into a 2 ohm load for more than 5 seconds.

Bob

suzyj said:

It's Mrs, and it's not a particularly useful analogy.

I use brakes on my bikes regularly, so they're useful. My amplifier has been sitting in my living room connected to my stereo for the last couple of months. Nobody disconnects the speakers, and nobody abuses it.

It's one of the advantages of making something for yourself, rather than making something to sell to others. You can spend your money on things that increase the performance of your amp, rather than having to design something that survives the lowest common denominator consumer. This is DIY Audio, after all.

I don't see the ability to survive a short as being of importance, as the likelihood of that happening to my amp is extremely low. Hence I make different design decisions than I would if (for example) I was designing an amp to be used by musicians.

Regards,

Suzy

PS: For what it's worth, three of my bicycles have no brakes. They're track bikes - for riding on closed velodromes, where brakes are not allowed.

Suzy, I largely agree with you, but I have to admit that even I have accidentally shorted outputs of my amplifiers at times, and, from experience, it is a terrible feeling when you have just fried your own amplifier because you left out protection thinking that might never happen.

Bob

A simple solution remains using a MOSFET in every rail feeding the power stage. SOA can be detected easily and turn off the MOSFETS thereby cutting power completely to the output stage. Neith speaker or transistors are damaged. This type of protection is common in industrial aplications. The switching MOSFET dissipates very litlle heat since it is either on or off.

If a faulty condition is detected power is removed from the output stage and will only reset after the main power is turned off then on. It is that simple and very cost effective, Adding 20 or 50 mOhm into the feed would have little effect on sound quality. Moreover, you have a protection circuit that is capable of responding to the fault without delay.

I have implemented this in one of my amps that is used at club parties and no-one has ever destroyed it or the speakers. When the music suddenly stops and the red light illuminates someone has done something bad and the amp will stand back and say okay, when you cleared the fault, we can carry on.

I do not use fuse protection at all and the whole protection systems sits outside the amp circuit with monitoring points in the amp.

You should try this, it is most satisfying to see someone say OH S$%T I connected the two speaker wires together and look over his shoulder to observe the sparks and smoke, but nothing, just waiting untill you finish and then lets party.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Rodent said:
A simple solution remains using a MOSFET in every rail feeding the power stage. SOA can be detected easily and turn off the MOSFETS thereby cutting power completely to the output stage. Neith speaker or transistors are damaged. This type of protection is common in industrial aplications. The switching MOSFET dissipates very litlle heat since it is either on or off.

I prefer IGBT's for this - lower on voltage and less disipation.
In a lot of cases you can even do without a heatsink.

Bob Cordell said:
Hey, not all of us EEs skimp on output transistors!

Hey, i never called you average !
But i'm the diyA fool who copies your words and Mr Curl's, finds most of it re-assuring and some of it a headache kickstarter.
Personally speaking, i rely more on the words of a few experienced EEs than on a whole lot of soap box gurus.
And you'd better have drivers on your list, you're not here for a freebee.
I know what a bad relay is, i'm still waiting to hear what some would consider a good relay.

Rodent said:

If a faulty condition is detected power is removed from the output stage and will only reset after the main power is turned off then on. It is that simple and very cost effective, Adding 20 or 50 mOhm into the feed would have little effect on sound quality. Moreover, you have a protection circuit that is capable of responding to the fault without delay.

I have implemented this in one of my amps that is used at club parties and no-one has ever destroyed it or the speakers. When the music suddenly stops and the red light illuminates someone has done something bad and the amp will stand back and say okay, when you cleared the fault, we can carry on.

I do not use fuse protection at all and the whole protection systems sits outside the amp circuit with monitoring points in the amp.

You should try this, it is most satisfying to see someone say OH S$%T I connected the two speaker wires together and look over his shoulder to observe the sparks and smoke, but nothing, just waiting untill you finish and then lets party.

Yes, this is a good, workable idea. My latching crowbar circuit removes the gate drive from the output transistor itself, making it an instant "off switch", so operation is similar. As John points out, these approaches need the appropriate control circuit. In my case as well, of course, the amplifier must be power cycled to restore it to operation.

Bob

Rodent said:
A MOSFET seems to be a high speed relay. In the on state some can pass +200A and RDS in is a few mOhm.

How fast do you need. It can disconnect a load instantaneously. It also does not arc, contacts does not pit, sound will not deteriorate.

Rodent said:
A simple solution remains using a MOSFET in every rail feeding the power stage. SOA can be detected easily and turn off the MOSFETS thereby cutting power completely to the output stage. Neith speaker or transistors are damaged. This type of protection is common in industrial applications. The switching MOSFET dissipates very litlle heat since it is either on or off.

You should try this, it is most satisfying to see someone say OH S$%T I connected the two speaker wires together and look over his shoulder to observe the sparks and smoke, but nothing, just waiting until you finish and then lets party.

Let's have your schematic please.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51732&highlight=