Box recommendations for Markaudio MAOP 7.2

Hi all,
Looking to get the current MAOP 7 for a desktop/tube setup. The speakers will be positioned close to the front wall (which is also a window). Space (depth) is very limited also, 19cm tops, hanging from the window-sill. Looking for something easy to build but sounding to the potantial of MAOP :)

I have no experience (or tools) in woodworking, so might be just outsourcing the build to someone who has. No experience in speaker building either, so don't judge too harshly.

Have had a look at the MA box plans. https://www.markaudio.com/online_shop/7-cm/maop-7/
  • The vented one has a rear port and a bit too deep, but I suppose the BR can be moved to the front and depth reduced and volume compensated in width/height without affecting the tuning?
  • The closed one looks interesting, but the bass response seems very limited. Tried simulating in WinISD, see below. How would that sound in real life? No bass whatsoever, or OK-ish? Otherwise, why would someone want such a speaker? Maybe that would work fine in my placement?
  • The slot vent one - any advantages over the usual BR?
Also, they all say the below, can someone please explain the meaning?

1710362109887.png

Maybe there are other plans you can suggest also?

1710362147171.png

Last edited:
I’ve long been a fan of floorstanders over smaller stand mounts, so I’d suggest any short list should include Pensil, FH3, or for the truly brave and lucky enough to be gifted with an understanding domestic partner, Maeshowe.
But for practicality and simplicity for a first time build, Dave has some excellent designs on the MarKen family - of which I’ve built a few, but IIRC, not for the MAOPs. He’d be a good touch point for specific recommendations.

Reactions: 1 user
For what it’s worth, I think that builder chose large radius curved edge over 45dg chamfer/bevel to simplify veneering process. For my own numerous builds I was fortunate enough to have access to commercial table saws capable of cutting those large bevels, generally had decent luck with veneering them, and the visibility of exposed edge of paper backing never bothered me that much.

IMG_0239.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with a BabyLab Storm Shadow (link below) for mine, which are rear ported, and used as daily drivers in lounge room - can listen to them all day. Finish is Scandinavian Oil over White Oak veneer.
Dave, are these the parameters you’re after?
http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Woden-BabyLabs-241018.pdf

Attachments

• IMG_5673.jpeg
    IMG_5673.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5528.jpeg
    IMG_5528.jpeg
    477.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4950.jpeg
    IMG_4950.jpeg
    606.7 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: 1 user