Can you add internal bracing to commercial speaker?

closed account
Joined 2022
My question is

can you add internal bracing to an already made pair of speakers?
would it alter the sound in a bad way or in a way the speaker designer didn’t have in mind?

i was thinking of adding low mass aluminum rods inside in a cross pattern to increase stiffness of the cabinet.

im assuming it would ruin the sound of the speaker the way it was designed from the woofer selection and crossover the designer used?

thanks!

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Years ago, when I repaired and upgraded my floorstanding Advent Maestro speakers, I added in a wood brace just above the woofer, in the center of the enclosure, from front to back.
Simple, stiffened up the front/back panels nicely since it's an air-suspension/sealed box.
Bass is clean, plenty of lows, I'm happy with the results.

Reactions: 1 users
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I wouldn't say it changes box tuning, but cabinets tend to resonate. They shouldn't necessarily, so it isn't right to think that cabinet vibrations are supposed to be there.

However, people often find they are disappointed after bracing a speaker that they already like. Sure, if you then proceed to do it properly and fix all issues it will come good again, but this is difficult to do and perhaps only worth it if the speaker is suited to you and your room in other ways.

Maybe try something reversible at first.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I meant the foam tubes used for covering / insulating copper tubes used in HVAC installations, particularly to split A/C outdoor units from the indoor units.
Or something like that to cover the aluminum rods you want to use for bracing.
Use foam sheets for the inside walls, with weak glue.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
would adding the single point braces shift the resonant freq up higher?
Dr Earl Geddes.

Tappan-braces.gif

dave

Reactions: 1 user