Changes to international shipping options

Founder
Joined 2000
Paid Member
The following information affects international (non-USA) customers only.

Please see the official announcement for more details:

https://diyaudiostore.com/blogs/news/changes-to-international-shipping-options

Our warehouse partner has informed us at short notice that they will be unable to provide DHL eCommerce shipping options after this week. We will be accepting DHL eCommerce shipping in the checkout until 6AM on Friday 28th June 2024 EST.

We will continue to offer DHL Express, and will be adding USPS International services from next week. We will be reviewing all our options moving forward so that we can best continue to serve our valuable international customers.

If you are located internationally and would like to take advantage of our extremely low international shipping prices, now is the time :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Founder
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Unfortunately there isn't much competition in the world of "small, light, speed unimportant, consolidated" shipping other than DHL eCommerce (DeC). We moved warehouse (then named Sprocket) 5 years ago to take advantage of DeC's amazingly cheap rates and I guess the good news is that for 5 years every diyAudio member got to enjoy those rates and the hard work we put into that move and building the relationship with our warehouse partner. It doesn't help you today though does it?

Are you planning to add some cheaper shipping option ?
Of course. It might take a while. Here is the timeline.
  1. Try to qualify some types of shipments for cheaper USPS rate types like First Class Package instead of Priority (timeframe: one week).
  2. Negotiate better rates with DHL Express (timeframe: two weeks).
  3. Explore other avenues to get access to DeC or other consolidation shippers without moving warehouse (timeframe: one month)
  4. Evaluate other warehouse partners who have an international and DeC focus, and if there are no other solutions, move our entire warehouse operation and processes to the new warehouse partner (timeframe: 6-12 months).

Reactions: 2 users
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
@Jason I love FreightCom: https://www.freightcom.com/. They have a Shopify app called ClickShip: https://www.clickship.com/. PM/email me if you need a contact there. There are other options too...

You can also get better rates with DHL. They cold-called me a while back and offered me 50% discount on their counter rates just because I'm a human with a pulse. They expect me to ship one package per month to keep that rate and offer better rates if you ship more. I hardly ever ship DHL but they still give me the discount.

When I lived in the US I used Stamps.com to buy USPS First Class postage. That's probably the most affordable, but also the slowest. I think it's now also tracked, but I'm not sure. Tracking is a must-have these days.

Tom

Founder
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks Tom. We have a DHL Express rep, but it's all about volume. We have much higher than 50% discount currently (their standard pricing is like hotel rack rate pricing). Actively negotiating with DHL Express, FedEx and UPS. Ultimately we're limited by the services our 3PL will integrate with. We don't ship with USPS First Class letter/envelope because that uses sorting machines and will damage PCBs and other delicate items, but it may work fine for flexible items, and will add it if it's viable for those shipment types. We are exploring FC package. I'm advised you can't get a DeC account privately now unless you're doing $500k billing in the first year, so that definitely counts us out unless we can piggyback a new 3PL with DeC focus, such as ShipMonk as an example.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I haven't kept up with USPS shipping options since I moved from the US, but I think you can ship packages by USPS First Class as well as long as they're below some weight limit (2 kg/4 lb?). USPS Priority International is a non-starter. It's stupid expensive.

I generally find that the various postal services have gone downhill in the past year or so. They used to be slow but very reliable. Now they're slow and not as reliable as they used to be. Most packages still make it, but a few (maybe 1-2 %) don't. Having tracked packages helps. At least there's some insight into where the package is and a trouble ticket often gets it moving.

I have only praise for FreightCom. PM me if you'd like some sample rates or something. ClickShip integrates well with Shopify.

Tom

Founder
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I have some good news on the shipping front:
  1. Vastly improved rates with DHL Express
  2. Added First Class Package as an additional service
We have negotiated an exceptional discount on our DHL Express rates. In some cases the prices are almost half what they were previously. DHL Express is an amazing service, typically 3-5 business days to anywhere in the world, and in our experience an extraordinarily low ~1 in 500 package loss rate. These rates are of course not as inexpensive as we could offer previously with DHL eCommerce but the service level is far superior.

For customers who are budget-conscious and don't need things fast, we have also added USPS First Class International Package for shipments under USD150 and 4lbs. These shipments will take their time, and won't be as reliable, but now as in the past we always guarantee you that you will get what you paid for even if it takes a long time.

My goodness! Missed this and the prices are bonkers.

£25 for the F5m essentials kit :) but then £50 shipping :sick:

You'll now see two new prices for an F5M to your city - £29 for DHL Express and First Class Package for £17.

Reactions: 4 users