Class-D Guitar full range amp for modellers (TPA3255 based) recommendations (speakers, etc)

Hi,

I am planning a class D guitar amp:

• TPA3255 based amp
  • stereo 2 x 120w into 8 ohm
  • either 6.5" or 8" speakers
  • coaxial or extended range
  • compact enclosure

Ideally it should be full range - so it can be used for other instruments ... if needed. I need advice ... especially for speakers. Coaxial would be preferred, but with max price around 100 USD per piece. Other ideas are also welcome.

I someone has made similar build ... I would be happy if he/she could chime in.

cheers

What are you feeding the amp with? What type of music will be played through it? Clean, distorted? A lot of the flavor of the guitar comes from the speaker. Not much in the way of real guitar speakers under 8", why fight to get any volume with a 6.5" either way. A Champ puts out a whopping 5W, I wonder on the 120W.

The build has more similarities with active studio monitor or PA speaker than with normal guitar amp. Digital profiler/modeler is a simulation of amp&cab together. So ... less speaker color the better. 120w from class-D is not that much.
I play mostly clean, but have some projects with fuzz and hi-gain sounds.

I would not go with coaxial's, blow a tweeter then you are out the whole speaker. Next is how loud you want to get. If you are setting up to play with your laptop then an inefficient (relatively) is not a big deal. I can not remember the maker, I think Quilter, used a full range Celestion (not guitar speaker) in a combo that has been well received. I think it might be this one.

https://celestion.com/product/tf0818/

https://nextgenguitars.ca/products/celestion-tf0818-100w-8ohm.html

Did find a source saying it is the one.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/can-an-8-speaker-cut-it-live.1560715/

What are you feeding the amp with? What type of music will be played through it? Clean, distorted? A lot of the flavor of the guitar comes from the speaker.
Maybe you missed:
>>full range amp for modellers <<<
Here that flattest most neutral speaker is best.
Not much in the way of real guitar speakers under 8",
No guitar speakers there but a full range or coaxial type.
Preferably a PA type if available, for the extra sensitivity and power handling.
why fight to get any volume with a 6.5" either way. A Champ puts out a whopping 5W, I wonder on the 120W.
A Champ is used full blast squarewave distorting if needed.
This amp must be always clean.
Low sensitivity and clean sound means higher than.normal power to get some headroom.

You will have a heart attack when you see modern FRFR powered guitar cabinet specs:

https://www.headrushfx.com/products/frfr108/index.html

Single 8" speaker, 2kW power amp.
If you ask me, a truckload of organic fertilizer, but hey .....

HeadRush FRFR-108®
The HeadRush FRFR-108 is a lightweight 2000-watt full-range, flat-response powered cabinet that perfectly complements your HeadRush Pedalboard, Gigboard, or any other multi-FX/amp modeler to give you a realistic room-filling sound with the authentic feel of a speaker pushing air.

Reactions: 1 user
I can not remember the maker, I think Quilter, used a full range Celestion (not guitar speaker) in a combo that has been well received. I think it might be this one.

https://celestion.com/product/tf0818/
Yes, but that one drops after 6khz. I would not call that full range. Although it is interesting why FRFR guitar cabs need full range response? Typical guitar speaker range is from 80-5000hz. Nothing after this.

Just guessing: maybe they want software to choose rolloff frequency, slope, and peaks.
That would require wider response than normal, simply to fully remove speaker from the equation.

Also some might simulate Acoustic Guitar amps or include wider than normal range guitars, such as Parker Fly with their bridge mounted Piezo pickups.

FWIW I added an under bridge Piezo pickup to my "shop" Bass Guitar customers use to try amps.

There are some high harmonics which are obviously produced (you can hear them) but usually
IMG_0792.JPG
never heard from a conventional Bass guitar.
My Bass cabinets also include Tweeters, and are much loved by slappers and Fusion style Bass players.
My Bass heads even include a "Slap" switch, which creates and brings out all kinds of harmonics.
Here, the bottom one:

@Harehare what are you considering for a preamp to provide color adjustments that can easily drive a TPA3255 to full power? For bass 've a mono FosiTPA3255 driven by a Caline "Wine Cellar" pedal - speaker is a Celestion K12H-200tc in an old diy Karlson K12.I'd like to know if a Joyo Actone pedal can drive TPA3255 to full power iwth average guitar pickups (generic Strat/Tele)_I've got so much tendon pain in both arms that can't even hold a guitar anymore

Thanks. The stock 32v 5A supply is plenty enough to get me thrown out of a trailer park. RE: full power - I don't know the real input sensitivity of my Fosi amp. Other amplifiers I've owned throughout the years were spec-ed at "2 volts" to reach rated power- onset of clipping. I'd like to know if the Joyo Actone or American pedals could drive an average power amplifier with a typical Strat/Tele style guitar - or whether there would be sufficient gain at clean settings. For a rough jam sans durms a TPA3016 running off a 20v tool battery could suffice.

Maybe you missed:

Here that flattest most neutral speaker is best.

No guitar speakers there but a full range or coaxial type.
Preferably a PA type if available, for the extra sensitivity and power handling.

A Champ is used full blast squarewave distorting if needed.
This amp must be always clean.
Low sensitivity and clean sound means higher than.normal power to get some headroom.

You will have a heart attack when you see modern FRFR powered guitar cabinet specs:

https://www.headrushfx.com/products/frfr108/index.html

Single 8" speaker, 2kW power amp.
If you ask me, a truckload of organic fertilizer, but hey .....

HeadRush FRFR-108®
The HeadRush FRFR-108 is a lightweight 2000-watt full-range, flat-response powered cabinet that perfectly complements your HeadRush Pedalboard, Gigboard, or any other multi-FX/amp modeler to give you a realistic room-filling sound with the authentic feel of a speaker pushing air.
And after his response I got what he was looking for and gave him my best suggestion that was used by Quilter. Sorry for being so slow and missing things. I got off a medication three weeks ago and have been averaging about four hours sleep a night.

Yes, but that one drops after 6khz. I would not call that full range. Although it is interesting why FRFR guitar cabs need full range response? Typical guitar speaker range is from 80-5000hz. Nothing after this.
And a tweeter on top of that would work I would think. I suggested not getting a coax that way the tweeter can be replaced if blown (doing any high gain solos?)

And a tweeter on top of that would work I would think.
Thanks, but that complicates things for me - it is my first build. I am not able to make crossover. I am looking at coaxial speaker with 150Wrms/300W max and factory crossover installed. These could be expensive ... 100$ per piece.

Other option is ... lower power full range (maybe Visaton BG17) and later upgrade ... if all goes well :unsure:
I can reuse these (if not blown by amp).