Classic Aleph Amplifier for Modern UMS Chassis Builder's Thread

Yup, those poor neighbors. :rofl:
Fortunately my nearest is easily 100 yards away.

I can and do sing the praises of HSU's directivity-controlled horn bookshelf speakers, still available new for $400 a pair, an utter bargain until I someday get the itch to look into the open baffle conversations on other parts of this site. They're so smooth, image like mad, timbre is so real, and don't get shrill as the volume knob goes up. Same family subwoofer, tweaked by the tiniest of increments over months to what sounds best to me.

Music is the spectrum of rock and pop you'd expect of someone into his fifties, and a not insubstantial amount of classical jazz (e.g. Monk) because I can't get enough of hearing the instruments and studios on recordings from the 40s, 50s, 60s.

Here's the chain casa Toadroller:
1677616877892.png

Reactions: 1 user
@Toadroller interesting setup, now I want this HSU bookshelf speakers, you should consider a sales career 😁 unfortunately they are hard to get in Europe.
Considering music taste vs. age: a lot of the roots reggae I listen to may be older as you are. You can find great instrumental tracks from the late 60s to 70s. Jamaica used to have a lot of very talented musicians. Sadly they had a lot of time to rehearse because of the lack of other jobs. They had to record every day just to put food on their table. Musically the big difference to most Jazz or Rock recordings may be that bass in jamaican Reggae is recorded / mixed >6dB louder. Don't think about Bob Marley or Peter Tosh, because their successful records were recorded by the european engineers like it was Rock music and the sound is just too bright.

Sorry for off topic, back to electric heaters aka Aleph amps..

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Excellent - another one born!!! Congrats!

For those of you wondering what power supply @dantwomey is using... It's a new one called the "W12 - Continental". It's 2 CRCRC's on one board. It is for dual donuts using a 6 pack of caps per channel in CRCRC configuration. V6+V6=W12 The goal was to go for dual CRCRC on a more compact footprint than a pair of the V8 CRCRC boards. Once again using the rectangular 5W resistors.

Dan is the first to try this one. I'll put putting one into a ZenMod XA252 soon, and I'll also start a thread at some point.

You saw it here first.

Reactions: 3 users
@dantwomey

You want to make sure that the bottom perforated plate and your top aluminum plate connecting across the centers of the two toroids is not causing a shorted turn.

163D3D61-724C-4EBA-A609-F8971252BB14.gif

Insulate the toroid mounting bolts on both bottom and top of each toroid.

The concern is, if you were to test with a DMM, you could have a direct connection (ie. Short, 0 ohms on DMM) between the top bolt of one toroid across to the bottom bolt of next toroid. That would confirm a shorted turn.

Best,
Anand.

Last edited: