CMV1515 vs BenQ 581s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The CMV 1515 (A150X1-T05) seems to be much better choice for projector than the BenQ (FP567s here) with M150XN05 panel, though there might better other panels too, like M150XN07 which is identical to XN05 except the LVDS interface on the XN07).

First is the wider viewing angle of CMV which makes it possible to put the both fresnels behind the LCD without hot spotting (also one behind and one front can be used for even better results). Second, the CMV1515 supports 16.7M colors. Now, that doesn't has to mean that it's got 8-bit color support as the 6-bit + FRC can support 16.7M colors as well - it's upto the dithering algorithm which is used. Last but not least, the CMV has brightness of 400 cd / m^2 (that *may* be overestimated) where BenQ only 260 cd / m^2. The power consumption for BenQ is 40W and for CMV 38W, so the backlight are about equal, and we can assumpe that CMV panel just has better efficiency.

Only problems I see with CMV 1515 is to find the latest T05 revision and somehow get the short FFC ribbon cable out of way.

For people living in EU there are some shops in Germany which have these for around 300 -320 EUR, but some of them don't sell overseas. Here some quick links:

http://www.baupool-shop.com/shop/index.html?monitore_tft__lcd.htm

http://www.compugate.de

http://www.mayeredv.de/monitor.htm (299 EUR!)

http://internetflash.de/inf.pdf

etc. (www.google.com tells you more).

mhelin...

First is the wider viewing angle of CMV which makes it possible to put the both fresnels behind the LCD without hot spotting (also one behind and one front can be used for even better results).

Exhaustive research on my part doesn't confirm this. I pulled my projector apart yesterday to test this again and I'm not finding an advantage to putting a fres up front with this panel (excepting slightly more lcd projected). Keystone correction is nice but the overall enclosure length is increased by up to 2". I would also recommend to anyone putting an fres up front to mount it to glass to keep it perfectly rigid, but then you'll be getting some refraction from the glass in your image path..*shrug*

Too bad we don't have the datasheets for the CMV1515 panel to see what the optimal viewing angle is. (Btw, is it possible to build a DIY light intensity meter? What kind of sensor is used on them?)

I am still 100% sure that the (cone shaped) light from the collector lens (through LCD to pj lens) which hits the LCD at different angles at different point of LCD will cause hot spotting and uneven colors. Or is the CMV1515 panel so different to others that it's contrast doesn't depend on which angle the light hits the LCD? Seriously?

Without measuring the light intensity (at different points and angles) it's just a guess, but on the other hand CMV1515 *does have* specs for vieving angles, which means the angle within the CR is >= 10:1.

The viewing angle in case of a 15" LCD ( width = 300 mm ) with 13" FL (330 mm) collector (=field) fresnel behind it, at the horizontal edges of the LCD, is inv tan(150/330) = 24.4 degrees.

In attached image (for M150XN05 used with MaxiBright backlight) you can see the graph of CR vs. viewing angle. In +/- 24.4 degrees range horizontally (the red graph) the CR is alway better than 150:1, max. is about 280:1 at normal angle of zero degrees), but in vertical direction (blue graph) where the angle is +/- inv tan(110/330) = +/- 18.4 degrees varies a lot from 125:1 to 380:1. The best sport is at about 12 degrees where the CR is closing 450:1. In my pj the tilt is now about 10 degrees (just testing it, practically I have to lift the other edge 47 mm for 12 degrees tilt) so the CR is about 430:1 which is excellent :). So with this panel you can get even CR only by using collimated light source (one fresnel with the point source light in FL of it, for an example).

I haven't seen the CMV1515 but I gues it isn't far away from the BenQ TFT. If you have the monitor and watch some DVD with it (direct view as monitor, not in pj) you can vary your viewing angle to see what is the best viewing angle for it, where the black is blackest and light has most intensity (usually these two black level and intensity have different graphs) and let your eyes tell it.

Attachments

• testi.jpg
    testi.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 384
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.