Converting a record into digital with a different speed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a lot of vinyl records and I want to convert them into a digital file. As we all know, it's a time consuming task. So in order to save some time, how good will be a 33rpm record running at 78rpm and after it then slowed down after gets digitalized? Dispite the results being good or bad, can such process damage the needle or the record itself.

I don't think it is made to run at such speed, but maybe just one run wont damage anything. Except the process is optimal at 33rmp, higher or lower speed results in unequal response and unwanted sounds. If quality is not important I should not worry a bit.

But, if the records are precious and rare, and you cannot obtain another digital copy, it defeats the purpose.

You'd need an extremely low mass stylus to track at that speed without risking severe distortion or throwing the tip out of the groove entirely.

The frequency response of the cartridge probably won't extend high enough, or you may hit resonances that are ultrasonic and normally filtered out. MM cartridges use inductive peaking to get response up to 20kHz, this will not extend to 50kHz... MC cartridges tend to be flatter though.

The RIAA curve would be misplaced and need correcting for digitally. Most phono preamps don't document their response above 20kHz, some may filter ultrasonics out. If using a microphone amp/digitizer you'll have the same issue of unknown frequency response ultrasonically.

The anti-skate force would likely be outside the range your tonearm is designed to correct for, again risking throwing the stylus out of the groove and causing unequal stereo channel response.

Cable/load capacitance would have a significant effect at these frequencies.

I have a lot of vinyl records and I want to convert them into a digital file. As we all know, it's a time consuming task. So in order to save some time, how good will be a 33rpm record running at 78rpm and after it then slowed down after gets digitalized? Dispite the results being good or bad, can such process damage the needle or the record itself.

Many cartridges have difficulties with very high frequencies. As an experiment you could do a transfer assuming a perfect cartridge (take out the RIAA and frequency shift back down) and see what you get. I don't think you will damage anything.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.