Design errors in commercial equipment

Account Closed
Joined 2018
@ostripper
"The biggest factor is that the public has been "conditioned" to accept planned obsolescence and continuous consumption as the norm.
They would not know quality if it fell on their heads , or they they would be told lies like "you need to upgrade". Yeah , upgrade to
something that will have a shorter lifetime than the last item. "Scamerica" ... at it's best."

That's one of the best descriptions of current society that I've seen posted anywhere.

The other week, I was walking back from the grocery store, it was "Trash Day", and one of those Polk subs were put out on the curb among the other trash.
As I was walking towards it, a bird landed on it and crapped, then flew away as I approached.
I had to laugh.

I would of taken the woofer out , then the birds would have a nest. BTW , I'm sure the owner of the sub had (maybe) a year. then he could
just go buy another one for 200-400$.
Take a Bowers & Wilkins ASW608 - 700- 999$ . "Bowers and Wilkins" sounds so grand and formal.
(picture) 400W SMPS/Ice class D that fails and takes out the woofer. Nice woofer (pix).
B& W DOES make a good sub , you just have to go up to 2000$ (Hypex 1000 + Hypex SMPS) , woofer is beyond bada$$.
2K is a lot just to get to the quality level that was the norm for cheap stuff in the 20th century. I still find 80's amps made in Japan
that just need filter caps and TLC.
I'm glad I know the "insides" of this consumer fluff. I buy 7$ SMPS's on Ebay and replace all the caps with Nichicon's/Panasonic's. Tidy up the sloppy
soldering and switching devices with no thermal compound - the new (reworked) now....12$ SMPS lasts decades.
My XT-12 sub is at the level of the B & W 610 @ $899. But I built my amp for <100$ and got the whole Polk sub for 40$ (new with blown amp).
I just have a real class A/B and a 300VA toroid ...I'd rather have that than a supposed China 300W "iceamp".

Attachments

• BW608.jpeg
    BW608.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 96
I was informed of a youtube video from a polymer consulting firm in an area of interest to our company. Looking at more of their postings I was intrigued to see an entire presentation regarding the failure of plastic nuts replacing metal! If you don't follow the instructions precisely for tightening the nut, it will fail 100% of the time.

This is really important as companies seek to "light-weight" vehicles substituting plastics for steel.

Here's two more.
The first is an infrared thermometer I got from Costco years ago. Works great on Celsius but on Farhenheit, at temps below 32F, it has math errors. The photo is a reading of my freezer. No wonder the ice cream is always soft.
The second is the control panel for a humidification system we have at work. After 10 years the display died, so they sent us a replacement. This worked but the text was backwards. After a year, three more replacements, two firmare updates and countless phone calls, we finally had a system that could be read without a mirror.

Attachments

• IR Thermometer.JPG
    IR Thermometer.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 60
  • driSteem.JPG
    driSteem.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: 2 users