Desktop TL template audio discussion

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Car driver, high Q. The only really important part of the box design is as big as you can get it. And you do not want to try to make more bass, it already does.

I suspect, unless you like overblown bass, and quarter-wave box will end up heavily stuffed and be close to aperiodic. The path does give more distance for the rear wave to travel thru damping giving a better chance of sucking it all up. A box can be teased into similar performance, but the partitions provide bracing, and the narrower passages hold the (well-teased) polystuff in place.

Don’t get too anal about the numbers. Given the input numbers are MIA they mean little. Just build something, something as big as you can live with.

dave

May I please have some help in validating my calculations. It will help me learn and that will enable me to be more confident in the future

With no specs and going by the references to driver Sd and pipe diameter, is the below plan feasible?
34hz chosen as Fb for pipe
34000 cm per second / 34hz = 1000 cm. 1000 / 4 = 250 cm
3 segments = 250 cm / 3 = 83.33 cm

34% reduction
S1: 100% = 207 cm2 = 14.4 cm x 14.4 cm
S2: 78% = 161.46 cm2 = 14.4 cm x 11.21 cm
S3: 56% = 115.92 cm2 = 14.4 x 8.05 cm
S4: 34% = 70.38 cm2 = 14.4 cm x 4.88 cm

Segment internal length after taper reduction 54 cm
Internal width 14.4 cm (driver cutout limited)

Resulting cab internal dimensions W 14.4 cm x H 38 cm x D 54 cm

I would like to stand this up on the 38 cm end to make it 54 cm tall, if this is ok to do
You have a 1:3 taper 54cm line that claims effective length 83.33cm, a multiplier factor of 1.543. Interpolating MJK Area Ratio Table 1 (by my redux) one needs 1:1.543^4.75 ~ 1:8 taper.

If stuffed (a la THOR paper) so sound slows to (3^1/4.75)/1.543 ~ 0.84X (mental math) then likely what planet10 said, nearly aperiodic little output (not a bad thing).

Last edited:
If you are not using co-axial or fullrange driver on the desktop to cover at least midrange-to-high, there will be other problems of course. Subwoofers on the desk will be felt more than heard, I suspect.

You might take the 34L TLonken and squash it from 800 to 500, slot from 35 to 25, done. The CF 5.5" should be fine.

Last edited:
The thread-title tweeter-pointable-co-axial sounded interesting as a desktop speaker, because integration/directionality/combing otherwise would be the main challenges for 2-way. The Epique 5.5" has a large 7" mounting plate so tweeter won't be that close. CF has a dry hard sound; you'll have to decide if you can live with its midrange. I couldn't really find a dome tweeter to integrate soundwise with mine (resin-coated CF in ~10L closed box); Be dome was closest, but eventually I went with electrostatic super-tweeter and vintage alnico oval papercone widerange. (These my kludged/chimera nearfield reference monitors Ultrae, for ultra-sultry, sat in/on a protruding windowsill so no boosting needed.)

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds awesome. Would love to see some pics of the Ultrae

I am not discarding the Pioneers. They sounded so sweet that I will try building a few options before giving up on them. It's just I am interested in making a pair of two ways with higher power drivers for a dj desk also and thought it would be a good chance to give the Epique and my other 7" a run for modelling reasons

The thread-title tweeter-pointable-co-axial sounded interesting as a desktop speaker, because integration/directionality/combing otherwise would be the main challenges for 2-way......
Also, I jumped on the Pioneers after listening to them because I wanted speakers for mic'ing on the desktop. Bass, DAW and effects live playing out of the pair of speakers and mic'ing the speakers. Again why I jumped at the TL form, I take it offsetting the driver can attenuate odd harmonic and that makes it sound like a good acoustic effects unit. The coaxial setup makes for easier mic'ing

Reactions: 1 user
I'll model a pipe tuned to 34Hz with the Epique and then make the boxes and fit the Pioneers to see how they cope. I hope there will be more opportunity for tuning as I go

Something that I need help with. Is my understanding correct that a one third offset can be used to cut the odd harmonic peaks. Am I understanding correctly that it will leave the 2nd harmonic untouched by much?

This is the driver and pipe segments entered into HR

1677650953372.png

1677651048479.png

1677651197563.png

I'll enter the reduction next. I'll start with 34% and also sim any other recommendations

Please disregard the previous, post. I have the 34Hz results with 65 cm segment lengths. System Volume 27L
Epique E180HE

How does this response look?

Opinions on this result please as this could form the basis of the build to test the Pioneer coaxials in this cab

1677653639921.png

1677653711647.png

Attachments

• 1677653330673.png
    1677653330673.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 44
Hmm, why are your specs so far off from mine?

edit: You forgot to convert 0.57 ft^3 Vas to 16.14 L

PS: Please Export any HR file you want us to review.
GM
Were you able to run this again. I somehow ended up getting even better results for the cab size, but do not know how to really read the audio graphs to interpret the results. Do you have any opinions on the last graph that I posted?

Thanks and regards
Randy