Does this explain what generates gravity?

The Calculator was hiding under my Patrick Moore Astronomy book! But I am happy with my back of a beermat calculations.

Today's Black Hole News is a really interesting item:

https://www.astronomy.com/science/h...ack-hole-leaving-behind-a-trail-of-new-stars/

Whatever is Hubble looking at here?

Black Hole Trail 1.jpg

Seems it is a rogue Black Hole ejected in a triple galaxy merger, and creating stars in its wake.

Black Hole Trail 2.jpg

It's the unstable Lagrange three body problem in action. One of the bodies can be ejected totally from the triple system.

Black Hole Trail 3.jpg

It's a bit like those old cloud chamber detectors. Causes interstellar gas to condense in the invisible particle's wake!

Reactions: 1 users
No angles needed. It's a similar triangles problem. You need to know the radius of the Earth (4000 miles ), the radius of the Sun (425,000 miles IIRC) and the radius of the Earth's orbit (93 million miles).

I already have done the calculation. The radius of the circle at or near the Sun's surface comes out to be approx 4000 miles / 220. Not very big. 18 miles?
Yes, that would be the diameter of such a circle one km from the Sun's surface whose energy hits the Earth if the Sun were a point source of light.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
No angles needed. It's a similar triangles problem. You need to know the radius of the Earth (4000 miles ), the radius of the Sun (425,000 miles IIRC) and the radius of the Earth's orbit (93 million miles).

I already have done the calculation. The radius of the circle at or near the Sun's surface comes out to be approx 4000 miles / 220. Not very big. 18 miles?

I make it the Earth gets about half a billionth of the Sun's light output. You don't need to know the size of the Sun for that one. My calculator is hiding, so I had to do it with pencil and paper.
Still a miles guy ;-D

Thanks - so about 60km diameter. Quite "large" - I thought it would be smaller. But of course in relation, its really tiny.... speaks about the dimensions in play....

//

I am getting a severe headache reading @cumbb.

I watched his Ed Dowdye video and thought it was Crank stuff from someone who really doesn't understand the subject. Ron Hatch was a similar woo monger.

Earlier cumbb pooh-poohed bending of starlight by the mass of the Sun in Eddington's famous (1919?) experiment during an eclipse.

So what is going on here, cumbb? I am seeing gravitational lensing.

View attachment 1195787

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/james-webb-space-telescope-first-image-galaxy-stars-data

Maybe you should study it further before criticising it.

I think Galu mentioned that the singularity at the Black Hole Event Horizon goes away with a change of coordinates.

This is right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddington–Finkelstein_coordinates

The central singularity then becomes a moment in future time rather than a point in space. All quite hard to grasp, I really need to learn more maths.

I shall be revisiting Electromagnetism, things like the Vector Potential in 4D. Maxwell's famous 4 equations become a mere 2 in 4D Spacetime.
Since you obviously don't understand method criticism, you certainly can't do "science".
Children believe;-) Believe, for example, that the pictures of black holes on their posters in their children's rooms are real images;-)

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
A agree with the article. But I don't think it is needed (or feasible for that matter) to do a simulation on Planck level to predict the future of the solar system but it will still probably be very helpful to have a complete unified model that jives on all levels..

//

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
A agree with the article. But I don't think it is needed (or feasible for that matter) to do a simulation on Planck level to predict the future of the solar system but it will still probably be very helpful to have a complete unified model that jives on all levels..

//
We’ve made pretty good inroads as a species characterising things that look outwardly chaotic.

Looking at the responses to the article (which I felt was lazy and anti-science btw), I come away with a feeling of dispair at just how out of touch the average person is with science. Someone blathered on about flowers etc.

There is an influencer here in the UK with 100’s of thousands of followers who appeared on a TV quizz show a few years ago. They asked ‘at what temperature does water boil’. His answer was ‘is it like . . . 1000 degree’s or something?’

I feel a certain despair that mine own "Alma Mater", London University is allowing such crackpot science as UCL (University College, London) Professor Pontzen is serving up in an unashamed blurb for his new book.

"The Universe in a Box: A New Cosmic History". :rolleyes:

I shall not be buying such tripe!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...ws-of-physics-will-never-explain-the-universe

I have to declare that the extremely non-conformist (Bedford College, London) Physics department always relied on that which can be tested by experiment. Anything less, is less than Scientific.

Here we assembled "Interocitors":

Interocitor Scene This Island Earth.jpg

Entered doors labelled "No Admittance"!

No Admittance.jpg

And in a unique first for all my Scientist friends at diyaudio.com I give you a hack on seeing the whole "This Island Earth" movie for nothing:

Considered a classic of nonsense Science in the 1950's.

But entertaining nonsense, eh? No cliche left unexplored. We just knew the Aliens were going to lose. :D

The interocitor - a product of Metaluna's advanced thermionic valve technology!

In turns, communication device, aircraft autopilot, surveillance device and directed energy weapon.

An assembly kit sent as a test of humankind's ablity to build it - diyAudio members would have had no difficulty!

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Looking at the responses to the article (which I felt was lazy and anti-science btw), I come away with a feeling of dispair at just how out of touch the average person is with science. Someone blathered on about flowers etc.
It is a universal thing on the net that there is also chaff among the wheat. Smart people discover it easily. ;)

Hugo

Reactions: 1 user