Duelund silver foil capacitor 'autopsy'

I'd call it scam but somebody might get offended so I won't 😄

Gibson used to offer paper in oil vintage caps in their premium guitars, "for that vintage sound" 🙄

Only they were FAKE, just modern polyester Wesco caps encapsulated in an imitation plastic case.

IMG_20240620_033352.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/2whtrg Any similarity is (not) a coincidence.

Reactions: 3 users
Generally speaking, and for what it worth, I consider Danes (in general, all Scandinavian people) to be serious people and handmade things to have an added value which is the accurate production not of huge numbers.

This can mean not only greater manufacturing accuracy and better quality control (perhaps many are rejected), but obviously also better overall quality.
And the OP spontaneously declares that they sound good to her ears.

Analyzing in more detail the photographs provided by the OP it seems that the "epoxy" is at least of two types: one can see a dark type and another light one.
The capacitors are rated for 600V and have silver foil, I imagine for better conductor qualities, and maybe you can make them smaller.

I don't see the point in gratuitously tarnishing the good name of a manufacturer that perhaps spends most of its time finding the best way to isolate its capacitors, making them safer and better sounding.

Not to mention the fact that the comparison to the Gibson case is not only misleading because it is a completely different thing, but also unfair.
I say this because if I were the honest manufacturer (and I've no connection with any manufacturer) of those capacitors that seem very popular and appreciated indeed I really couldn't write what I'm thinking.
Has anyone perhaps thought to e-mail the manufacturer to ask for explanations and further information before of the summary and "anonymous" insinuations?

If I buy a suit I pay 200 bucks in a store, if I've it made by a bespoke tailor I pay at least triple that, does this mean that the tailor is a scammer?
Not to mention the price difference between ordinary and quality fabric.

Of course I'm not trolling at all, in case the idea occurs to anyone, but I'm perfectly aware of what I'm saying.
And I would like an adult answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
No conspiracy theory here, only to see things from an equidistant point of view.

Thinking that producer might be honest, just like I think we all are here.

And I asked for an adult response ;) , if you were that manufacturer what would you think that on the most important audio forum in the world those things are written without even having a single evidence?

Edit to add that I think this is a by-product of this actual society of what happens on social media (which I'm not on) because one seems can't resist the temptation to shoot down anything that seems different from what one believed to be.
Without even a shred of evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't see the point in gratuitously tarnishing the good name of a manufacturer that perhaps spends most of its time finding the best way to isolate its capacitors, making them safer and better sounding.
Since capacitor has both leads exposed, not sure how over insulating it's body can make it "safer"

My untrained eyes just see that epoxy as "empty space filling", also "adding weight", not much more.

Maybe if such 2 capacitors are touching side by side and a voltage difference of, say, 10-20kV is applied, that extra epoxy insulation can prove useful.

Under regular Audio-HiFi use?
Not so much..
Not to mention the fact that the comparison to the Gibson case is not only misleading because it is a completely different thing, but also unfair.
Let your eyes decide:

1228278-eead8817d27a68f4f0338be85ee94b31.jpg

IMG_20240620_033352.jpg

X-rays and user comment:
IMG_20240626_104349.jpg

@JMFahey

Are you done?

Well, you're not right.
I don't want to say anything else, but you're not right.
And you know it.

The fact is, you want to be right.
And then everything fits.
But only for you, not for me (hoping neither for other ones).

Inside the Gibson capacitor "container" sold as "for old time sound" it seems there is a mediocre capacitor with someone else's branding, if confirmed.

Inside the capacitor in topic, instead, there is a real handmade capacitor which is covered with different materials, I guessed for greater safety, but it will certainly have a reason linked to vibration isolation and also to the SQ.
That capacitor is handmade with silver foil for increased conductivity.

I don't see any analogy.

And you also make an effort to believe it yourself.
I'm sure you don't believe it either, but you really like behaving like this. ;)

If you don't know what you're talking about, how can you say it's a scam?
Does this seem like correct behavior to you?
What if they did it against your product?
How would you react if they summarily called you a scammer?
What would you think if you were innocent?

Okay, but that's your choice and I didn't understand if you "cloned" the idea from Duelund! LOL
And may be the higher quality component can also offer an overall quality in every field of electronics, last but not least reliability.
And longer life of the capacitor itself.
Quality always has a cost, but it is often more convenient over time than a cheap choice.

Just as an example, seeing people buy expensive clothes has an odd effect on me.
But that doesn't mean I say that sellers of hi-quality clothes are scammers.
Mind you, they may even be scammers of course, but everyone knows that Cashmere wool is expensive and pure silk too and those who can afford them and buy them are not idiots.
Maybe they even look like idiots, but they aren't (except those who are idiots for other reasons than buying high-quality clothes ;) ).

After all, everyone does what they want with money, but that's not exactly what we're talking about here.

And in this same great Forum I often read about enthusiasts who indicate the name of a specific brand of resistors, rather than the material they are made of, as having high SQ and no one seems to be shocked, in fact many confirm.
And they generally cost more than those found on Amazon...

Last edited:
Duelund also sells bulky graphite resistors, which are nothing more than a thick graphite stick, covered with epoxy resin. https://andersenaudio.dk/shop/28-ca...488-0r82-cast-graphite-resistor-silver-leads/ I have tried such a method in dac I/V and it sound really sweet due to the very low inductance and not for € 36.96
I have tried making my own version, I made about ten until I realized it was too difficult to make, and I just wasted a week trying to get them to work. SOME of them worked, but resistance was unstable. They didn't blow up at least. Correction: several of them did not blow up.
For $26 I would pick the Duelund resistors any time.

Reactions: 1 users
Last edited:
There is nothing to blow. The core of the pencil must have H mark (hard). It was even hard to break! Also there was no issues with stability. There are plenty of non inductive resistors on the market https://www.mouser.lt/c/?features=Non-Inductive Resistors&pg=2 smd, absolutely love PNM, PTN series : https://www.mouser.lt/c/passive-com.../thin-film-resistors-smd/?m=Vishay&series=PTN https://www.mouser.lt/c/passive-com.../thin-film-resistors-smd/?m=Vishay&series=PNM Sorry for offtopic
I believe I succeded with the inconceivable, and I am still a bit vary about that type of resistors, even if nothing else bad happened. It was like blowing a fuse. With small explosives.