ECM8000 Microphone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Marik, very good info, thank you! PE does indeed list the ECM8000 as an "omni" mic. So the cal file really isn't to correct for teh deviation as much as for use as a free field mic aimed at the driver and doing MLS type measurements. However with any other types of measurments that have some element of measuring the environment you wouldn't want to use the cal file. I'm glad I know this now!

The comment about the Radio Shack meter is interesting. I have a newer one and don't remember what the manual said about how it should be aimed. I need to check this out.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
pupa said:
From what I noticed many use the Maudio USB with the ECM8000 for measurements

I have the M-Audio DUO USB for my ECM8000, but I can't get the computer to see the record inputs of the DUO. Output works great. :mad:

So I have to use the DUO in "stand alone" mode and come line out of the DUO and into my Turtle Beach card. Kind of a stupid way to do it - but it works.

Other than that the DUO seems to be a great USB DAC and mic preamp with phantom power. If only I could work out the driver problem.

My last speaker project was the first I designed by myself. I made a simple 2-way speaker with a waveguide.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looks cool - do you have a thread or a web page about this speaker? I'm thinking of doing something similar. I have a variety of Peerless HDS woofers and thinking to order some Vifa XT tweeters to try them (with and without waveguides).

I just "calibrated" my ECM-8k for 1k up using a calibrated reference (A mitey mike that was cal'd by D'Appolito years ago.) Mine has a slow rise to a ~1dB peak at ~12k, followed by a drop to 0 at ~15k and approx a 12db/oct rolloff above that. Mine is an older one - perhaps from 2002 or so. THere are a fair number of ~+/- 0.2dB ripples in my plot, perhaps I need to do some more measurements and average. They actually got worse when I put some foam near the neck of the mic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.