ELEKIT TU-8900 2A3/300B (Stereophile Review Available NOW - July 2023 Edition)

Small update on tubes. I own both 300b and 2a3 and have to say, after months of listening to both that I prefer the 2a3.

They only lack a bit with basses, the 300b do just a slightly better job at it but you lose on ‘intimacy?’ (something difficult to explain). The 2a3 are more velvety if I can say that. Love that.

Btw, currently running my 8900 with Westinghouse 12bh7 tubes which are my preference so far (tried Sylvania (nice!), RCA (didn’t like them), GE (not bad))

edit: added a picture and thanks Victor for the transparent plate, didn’t want it first but it is really nice 🤩
If you don't mind, are you running your TU-8900 with negative feedback or without?

Thank you,

Steve Z

Block diagram. The two modules are pre-assembled in Japan.

Are you aware that the latest 300B EML meshplates datasheet on the EML website show 5v filaments? However there is a long article about how the current 5V EML 300B meshplates differ from standard and the precautions the user needs to take if they are going to use them.

http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML300B-mesh-final.html

Steve Z

Reactions: 1 user
Victor,
Thanks for your guidance. This worked out very well.

I’ve been listening through a pair of Klipsch RP600M’s (Gen 1). No negative feedback. Everything I love about the 300B is already there, even though there’s been no real break-in time.

In addition to what I love, it’s driving the low end beyond expectation. I suspect the OPT’s have a lot to do with than (on top of a great design).

This is the 1st 300B I’ve heard with solid state rectification.

You were right. I love it!

P from New York

Reactions: 2 users
I am P. Victor posted an email I sent him yesterday.

I'd like to add kudos for Victor, as well.

I've never dealt with a vendor who's been so consistently prompt with responses. That's true for my professional life, too. Victor is so fast, I suspect he's an AI :)

Once he sufficiently helped me assemble the proper order, Victor shipped the same Friday I made payment. The order was delivered to my apartment in DC on Monday.

After some help from Victor, diagnosing a non-playing channel, I had a working amplifier Wednesday. Assembly was straightforward enough; I just missed a solder bridge on the headphone board.

Once break-in is complete, I'll also be using the amp with a pair of C&C Abbys. Beyond that, I'm looking for suggestions. I listen to all sorts of music; but mostly Jazz (40's and up). The RP600M's, in this configuration, are a little bright for me; but I think the Abby's will be lacking a little brilliance.

I opted for the Western Electric 300B's. I've previously had EH's in an amp I built from TubeLab. The construction improvements are immediately apparent, and the wooden case is a nice touch.

After a day of listening, I couldn't be more impressed. When I heard the first vocals through it, I felt emotional. I'd order this kit 100 more times; and they'd all be from Victor.

Reactions: 4 users
Finished the PCB assembly today after slowly working through it this week. Spent about two hours finishing it today.

Very relaxing and meditative process for me. These kits are so well thought out and designed.

Hopefully will finish tomorrow and can give it a listen.

Attachments

• PXL_20240629_210738687~2.jpg
    PXL_20240629_210738687~2.jpg
    643.1 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: 4 users