EQ1616D Phono Amp

I was curious if I could check the accuracy of the RIAA EQ of a phono stage. I used a signal generator app, smartphone with calibrated mic, and a spectrum analyzer app (Spectroid). After correcting for non-linearity of the mic and loudspeaker, I compared the measured SPL at various test frequencies with the RIAA Specification. Based on my test results, the SV-EQ1616D and the phono stage of the Elekit TU-8500 preamp met Spec. I also tested a tube phono stage by Tavish Design which did not meet Spec (not enough LF boost & too much HF attenuation). No wonder it sounded so "meh". More detail can by found here (17 min.): How to check RIAA EQ Accuracy of a Phono Stage - YouTube

Just to ease my borderline OCD, could you confirm the position of your Rolloff switch when performing this test? Great video, btw!

A proper design includes a fuse that blows before the power transformer. Power transformer should never blow, saving a 20 cent fuse. There was a defect in the transformer, or the fuse would have gone first.

I can help you to replace/order the damaged parts. Please check what else were damaged . It is hard to ship any thing out of Japan uless I use DHL/FedEX.

The only way to ship to you a new power transformer is open to a brand new box and give one of the parts, but the rest of the box cannot be used because it is missing the part. If you want to do that you would have to bear the cost of the transformer. If that is what you want, email me.
I can ship today you will receice tomorrow

I finally got around to getting my kit sorted out and all the voltages in spec. Man. This thing exposes every weakness in your turntable and cartridge! I spent the evening rolling through the mm carts that I have and finally settled on a Pickering V15 AME-3 on my mid-fi Pioneer PL-112D deck. It sounds as good as my AT ART-9 / SME 3009 Series 2 Improved / Orsonic AV-11B / Thorens TD125 did with my old phono stage! Thanks Victor!

I have considerably more bass with this unit than my old phono stage. The improved bass is one of the first things I noticed. I don't have a lot of listening hours on mine, but I did spend a couple hours rolling cartridges. In that time, I found the unit to be extremely transparent. One of the cartridge/headshell combos had a bit of simblance that I never heard from it previously. A quick check of the VTA indicated that the angle was not correct. After a minor VTA tweak, the simblance was gone. It might be worth checking that your tonearm is correctly aligned.

After say aprox. 100hours i´m still not 100% impressed.The highs,mids and soundstage are top notch but the bass is weak compared to my solid stage phono amp. Would be interesting if others has the same experiences.

I have not had the same experience. The bass presentation on the EQ-1616D really contributes to the depth that I’m getting. The bass (talking acoustic instrument here) is placed further back on the stage for me, leaving room for so much in between the solo instrument/voice. Perhaps the measured performance is 1/2 - 1 DB less (than my other phono stages) at certain frequencies, but it is certainly not weak. If I play some electronic or organ music you’ll still get blown out of the chair.

I have considerably more bass with this unit than my old phono stage. The improved bass is one of the first things I noticed. I don't have a lot of listening hours on mine, but I did spend a couple hours rolling cartridges. In that time, I found the unit to be extremely transparent. One of the cartridge/headshell combos had a bit of simblance that I never heard from it previously. A quick check of the VTA indicated that the angle was not correct. After a minor VTA tweak, the simblance was gone. It might be worth checking that your tonearm is correctly aligned.

Thank you for your input. No problems with my tonearm or cartridge. As said my solid stage have more body and bass and the sun valley is more thin sounding. Maybe i need to try other tubes.

My EQ16 is suffering from very quiet, but noticeable low level hum, which sounds like 50 Hz (as per our power supply). Has anybody else experienced the same? I've seen a couple of posts on noise but nothing concrete. I’ve changed tubes and checked all the wiring segregation etc., but nothing makes it disappear completely. I’m using a 3 prong IEC but again, no difference whether the unit is earther or not. Victor has been helpful but short of sending it to Japan or doing a complete rebuild, I’m stumped. The only clues I have is without an input connected, it is worse on MC than MM ( I run an MC cart) and it all but disappears on the ‘London’ curve. Running it flat or not makes no difference.

Hi Neville, thanks for your reply and no, touching the chassis makes no difference. I've checked the ground points and rechecked again that all the compnents are in their correct positions. . I know it will be something silly and so I've parked it and plugged an old solid state phono back in for the time being. Fresh eyes can take another look in a week or two :)

Assembled EQ1616D is available now
Price $975 KIT Version --> Available
Price $1945 ASSEMBLED Version ( Assembled by SunValley Japan with tube set (Gold Lion ECC83/B759 X 2 + Brimar ECC82 X 1 + COSSOR/LINLAI WE 274B) + VCAP ODAM 2.2 X 2 (output Cap)
Price $1,485 (assembled version w/o tube set . VCAP ODAM 2.2 X 2 included) + shipping (new price for December Production-)

This kit does not come with tube set. The following 3 combinations are recommended.

(Plum set)
Gold Lion ECC83 / B759 x 3 + LINLAI 274B
Standard combination. Natural charm

(Bamboo set)
Gold Lion ECC83 / B759  x 3
WE 274B
Powerful midrange

(Pine set)
Gold Lion ECC83 / 12AX7  x 2
Brimar 12AU7 x 1
WE274B x 1
Vcap ODAM 2.2uF [2 pieces] x 1

Superb harmonics
UPgrade options:
Gold Lion (ECC83/B759 X 2 + Brimar ECC82 X 1) = 165
Cossor /LinLai WE274B $255
LINLAI 274B $ 45
Mundorf Supreme 2.2 X 2 $55 each
VCAP ODAM 2.2 X 2 $80 each

Last edited:
My question is.. Can this be used with 2 MM Carts? yes.. you will use the input selector to pick whick one you will use
Based on the labels and switches I would guess I could use 2 MM Carts, or 2 MC carts, or a combo.

Or is 1 input strictly MM and the other stricyly MC?no input selector to control which option you will use

Assembled EQ1616D is available now
Price $975 KIT Version --> New price in 2022 )
Price $1945 ASSEMBLED Version ( Assembled by SunValley Japan with tube set (Gold Lion ECC83/B759 X 2 + Brimar ECC82 X 1 + COSSOR/LINLAI WE 274B) + VCAP ODAM 2.2 X 2 (output Cap)
Price $1,485 (assembled version w/o tube set . VCAP ODAM 2.2 X 2 included) + shipping (new price for December Production-)

This kit does not come with tube set. The following 3 combinations are recommended.

(Plum set)
Gold Lion ECC83 / B759 x 3 + LINLAI 274B
Standard combination. Natural charm

(Bamboo set)
Gold Lion ECC83 / B759  x 3
WE 274B
Powerful midrange

(Pine set)
Gold Lion ECC83 / 12AX7  x 2
Brimar 12AU7 x 1
WE274B x 1
Vcap ODAM 2.2uF [2 pieces] x 1

Superb harmonics
UPgrade options:
Gold Lion (ECC83/B759 X 2 + Brimar ECC82 X 1) = 165
Cossor /LinLai WE274B $255
LINLAI 274B $ 45
Mundorf Supreme 2.2 X 2 $55 each
VCAP ODAM 2.2 X 2 $80 each
How do we go about ordering these from you?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: