ESL Diaphragm coating

Be careful with Final. I had a rather poor experience with them while trying to buy a set of speakers from them recently. I can't speak to their product, only how they conduct themselves. I was ready to spend $7000US or more with them and had such a bad experience that I bought a set of Acoustats instead. Like I said, be careful with Final.

well there stators are made out of acrylic (or PC, but i think acrylic), so not conductive. and they use the same method of printing a conductive layer on it as well as they do on the mylar (i dont know if they sandwich the conductive layer between 2 sheets though). i dont think they are inverted anymore either (not entirely sure, since there transformers are really affordable (at least to them)) ,, but if you buy allot price comes down allot :) ). they drill all the holes in the stators them self. , using a cnc with multiple spindles to speed the process up.pretty funny idea. sicne you can also alter the amount of holes or even the hole size to damp the foil differently at different points on the foil.
i am not sure if the cutter has a round over function (like a combination bit that makes a hole with a chamfer ) , if not you could even drill multiple sheets at once. with multiple spindles. speeding things up allot , 2 sheets 2 spindles is making 4 stators in one go etc
How much of this is first hand info? How much is wishful thinking, assuming or guessing?
Stators like the ones in the original Quad ESL in 1957.

I remember reading advertisement of Final in which they mentioned PMMA stators This material is also known as acrylic glass, brandname plexiglass. I also remember reading about that printjng proces . One can ask the question what difference it makes in performance. My gut feeling is that plastic stators should have advantages compared to metal ones. Like having better internal damping. Measurements could prove it. Unfortunately almost none of the commercial producers provide any measurements at all. Sometimes better magazines like stereophile do perform measurements but as far as I know they never neasured or tested Final let alone the newer models.

It is kind of 'funny' that the reviewer states that these Final speakers, costing over 12.000 euro, have good price/quality ratio.
Haha, yeah its nothing only 12k...
How much of this is first hand info? How much is wishful thinking, assuming or guessing?
Well directly from the owner himself.

I think, the PMMA stators without stiffener external bracings are too elastic. I guess, the major target of this design was the better visual transparency, not the sound...
or maybe they gave it a slight curve. (not sure if that is the case i did not ask and cant remember they where)

Last edited:
Oh yeah i somehow thought they where a form of PCB ? but not the glass fibre later stuff ? or did they also had a form of plastic and made it conductive them self. anyhow this is a bit different i think since the acrylic is also the exterior of the speakers.
You're mixing up the original ESL and the ESL-63.
But hey, this thread was supposed to be about coating, so let's get back to that initial subject.

Reactions: 1 users