F5 Turbo Builders Thread

By the way, NE Way, I buy Antek Transformers here in the USA. I pot them myself. I use epoxy and oil dry (or kitty liter) as the aggregate.
Then a Forstner bit to level it in a drill press when it is dry, then drill the center.

Rush

Attachments

• IMG_6530.jpg
    IMG_6530.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6531.jpg
    IMG_6531.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 11.31.22 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 11.31.22 AM.png
    402.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 11.31.36 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 11.31.36 AM.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 35
With due respect, the addition of a mounting plug in the center of the toroid is probably not what most people would refer to as potting. And, from what I’ve seen from photos of Toroidy Supreme potted transformers posted by individuals in various threads if DIY Audio, the Toroidy potting and case are beautiful.

Reactions: 1 user
Wasn't trying to "out do" any manufacturer, but the epoxy gets into the crevasses and holds the transformer solidly with no other clamps on top, just the rubber pad on the bottom.

It works and would probably ad some mechanical damping due to the bentonite in the aggregate.

Just here to share stuff.

Rush

Reactions: 1 user
I have no problem with that as a mounting solution; it looks great! Adding the bentonite seems to be a smart way of reducing the volume of epoxy needed (assuming that the amount added does not significantly affect its structural integrity). And you may possibly get some mechanical damping to boot.

But I would not call it "potting." YMMV.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello NE WAY,

I have used so many Sedlbauer - transformers, that I don't know how many any more.
In my F5Turbo - Monoblocks I have used 1000 VA transformers from Sedlbauer - excellent
quality!
But I am sure, that the TOROIDY are on the same quality level. Very nice are the potted TOROIDYs (supreme audio) in that beautiful shiny encapsuled stainless steel cases...
Chers
Dirk
Thank you Dirk! Are you using the standard Sedlbauer? or are there special audio grade?

For the 1000VA, The standard Sedlbauer sells for 10% higher than Toroidy middle range audio grade(not the shiny stainless steel case)

Attachments

• IMG_0783.jpeg
    IMG_0783.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0784.jpeg
    IMG_0784.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 31
I just recently did this F5T 6 channel amplifier in two mono blocks of 3.

I originally built the cases for my Son of Zen version from many years ago, but now needed 8 channels for DIY LX521 modeled dipoles (bare naked drive units for LM, UM & Tweeter, H-Frame for Subs).

At the moment each of the 6 channel is biased at 0.8A. The 4 Ohm Subs are handled by another pair of Class B amps.

Noctua 14cm ULN fans are now used, not those shown in the photo.

First Son of Zen attempt shown for fun.

Attachments

• 6 channel F5T.jpg
    6 channel F5T.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 61
  • First Son of Zen.jpg
    First Son of Zen.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Old Son Of Zen.jpg
    Old Son Of Zen.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 61
  • PSU 300VA 25-0-25VV.jpg
    PSU 300VA 25-0-25VV.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: 6 users
I have no problem with that as a mounting solution; it looks great! Adding the bentonite seems to be a smart way of reducing the volume of epoxy needed (assuming that the amount added does not significantly affect its structural integrity). And you may possibly get some mechanical damping to boot.

But I would not call it "potting." YMMV.
I just got around to looking up the Sedlbauer - transformers website:
They call what they do as Potted???? Go figure!

Rush

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 2.03.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-07 at 2.03.43 PM.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 28
@Halauhula the fat thick wire "pancake" type coils on wood former are easy to wind compared to smaller longer coils with thinner wire. I think they help to reduce RF hash to/from rectifiers even though they're very low L. Mr. Pass has said that PSU's with Inductors are the best way.

BTW I had the SoZ's working on battery power with 4x50Ah 12V deep discharge lead acid batteries 24V-0-24V - except the noisy fans to recharge them during the next day were a PITA. The Music was something special though - I was using Lowther EX3's in Voigt pipes back then. The F5T's and my DIY Linkwitz modeled LX521 do have much better dynamics. Transparency and openness of both are splendid.

Last edited:
@Rush fwiw, I've only known "potted" toroids to be center-filled.
Are you using 5 min epoxy with your clay? I might try that sans k-litter. Several of those dual syringe kits found their way into my shop and I rarely have a need.
When I'm working with laminating epoxies, I always try to line out ways to use the inevitable excess. I doubled up here by using my extra resin for a small xfmr, trialed a pigment and even made a "temporary" volume knob with the help of an old film can.
I've never used the requisite Pass blue LEDs but now I'm picturing two or three seated into the back of a clear or light blue transformer pour 🤣
1000008550.jpg

I use laminating epoxy with a relatively fast hardener. 5 minute epoxy would kick off before you cold throughly mix in the bentonite.
I just use packing tape on the bottom and pour in the mix. I've noticed most of the bentonite settles to the bottom before it kicks off. Not a big deal.

Yes, I hate to waste epoxy. I do the same thing with extra epoxy from my projects too.

Rush

My step son decided him and his friends needed to beat the snot out of my f5 turbo while I was working. The amplifier sounds terrible now and is putting .5 volts to the speakers.
I have enjoyed this amp for 5 years now , I guess I need to source some matched fets as well as the jfets. There was a complete kit for the f5 turbo in the audio store here, but I’m not finding it. Can someone help me out. Thanks in advance

I am using my adcom 5800 in its place. Awesome amplifier of course. But it’s missing the soul of the f5 turbo