First build Icepower AS1200as2

Completed my first build. Icepower AS1200as2. Still have some parts on order to improve the wiring, and add a standby power switch.

Right now I shut off the amp by disconnecting power using a mains switch. I get a very small pop in the speakers when I do that. Am I better off keeping the mains on and just put the amp in standby when not in use?

Thanks

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
There is a proper way to switch off by triggering the standby line then turn off the mains. It’s all explained in the data sheet / users manual. There are many many options and connections. It’s like an automobile microcontroller. But you only need access to 3 wires to do this. Pin 1, 6, or 10 on plug P101.

Use a switch to provide Vdd from pin 1 to pin 6 to pull it high for standby. In standby the high voltage PSU is also shut down. It has internal pull-down resistor so when disconnected the amp is active. Pin 10 is amp mute and it keeps the PSU section on but amp output is muted.

Both standby and mute have pop and click suppression. I would use pin 10 for a front panel “enable” switch. Let the IEC mains rocker switch be the main power on and off.

All this is discussed in sections 11.4.1 and 11.4.2 of datasheet.

280F73FE-F6A5-4345-9312-CB69F51B7CC1.jpeg

1673813488381.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't own an Icepower AS1200as2, but hope to some day. I have 500ASPs, which never pop on removing power. No external standby/protect connections are required. According to the 500ASP data sheet:

Power-down Sequence
The module will enter into standby mode if:
1. The mains voltage drops below ACmin or falls out completely
2. The standby pin is pulled low.
3. Temperature protection is triggered
4. Over current protection is triggered
In all events, the ICEpower500ASP will shut off instantly (tpsd = 200us typical) by disabling the switching power stage.

The 125ASX2 does not pop with power off, in my experience. Could there be a preamp upstream that is causing the pop, because I have experienced that. I need to mute my preamp before shutting off power to preamp/amp simulataneously.

Last edited: