Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this qualify as "Snake" oil?

"Every Naim Audio interconnect is shaken 180 times by a custom-designed pneumatic production device affectionately named ‘The SNAIC Shaker’ by our technicians. Why do we do this? Because it improves sound quality."

https://www.naimaudio.com/infinite-curiosity

Not only the shaken cable, but also the digital filter with 10^284 word length (They claim they can count every second since the beginning of the universe several times)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Does this qualify as "Snake" oil?

"Every Naim Audio interconnect is shaken 180 times by a custom-designed pneumatic production device affectionately named ‘The SNAIC Shaker’ by our technicians. Why do we do this? Because it improves sound quality."

https://www.naimaudio.com/infinite-curiosity

The thing is, the shaking is very worthwhile as it finds marginal connections and bad mechanical assemblies. So it helps to prevent failures in the field.

There's a lot shake tests performed on electronic (sub)assemblies and cables, Google 'shaker tables'. Whole industry also on amplifiers to drive shaker tables.

If they only said it that way...

Jan

Vibration testing...
with cables though they should really be plugged in and vibrated that way and preferably a signal through them monitored, dangling them loosely is not the way to do it. The cable strain relief can hold the cable assembly together even if there is a dodgy connection.
In this case I suspect its snaic oil:
Naim Audio Factory Visit [English]
A picture of the shaker, they are plugged in, it looks rather twee though made out of wood.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/15578331@N08/8925624493

Further they have been doing it a while and from the post by Awl audio in this thread it does seem to be true snaic oil...
Naim have a 'SNAIC shaker' which the cynical could think is part of some audio voodoo display to impress and wow visitors, but it really does make a difference. I've actually measured the difference between a length of cable straight off the reel tonight, then after shaking and whipping it around for a minute or so, and it's surprising!

Naim apparently discovered that used cables in the dem. room sounded better than those off the production line and came to a conclusion about the mechanical handling and flexing the dem room cables had experienced as being the primary difference. The SNAIC shaker was developed to overcome this difference.

Best thing to do is grab an end and shake and 'whip' it like a mad thing, in random directions for a minute.

You'll look stupid doing it, so I'd do it in private to save strange comments from family members that might think you've finally lost it ;)
From this link, that also provided a great nugget regarding RoSH...

I prefer mine to the Naim one though by a slight margin, having compared them long-term over a few months, maybe due to the fact I soldered mine with lead-free solder(?), which is a viable option as there's no lead in the two components to be soldered (DIN / cable).

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.