Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the same vibe from Meanwell power supplies.
Suntan capacitors don't inspire confidence do they!
Came across these in some equipment at work years ago.
Nothing good about them. They don't last.

Meanwell, on the other hand, is a decent brand of SMPS. Dozens in service and never seen one fail.

Attachments

• GoodSky Relay.jpg
    GoodSky Relay.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 69
Not snake oil, but I remember taping a coin to the tonearm of my cheap record player so it wouldn't skip when it hit low notes! Then I wondered why my records wore out.....

Of the ideas I mentioned, speaker rocks takes the prize as the cost of parts was, um, zero. Maybe 0.5c for the plastic bags into which the selected rocks were carefully placed. Also, how could anyone believe that the product would, or could work? I thought it may have been an April 1st joke, like left handed Mars Bars, but it was a real thing.

Apparently the speaker bullets needed 100-200 hours to 'burn in' and do their job......how would anyone know what their speakers sounded like 200 hours ago?

Geoff

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
In any direction you look, there it is, oil from the bottom of a snake. Very rare, and able to cure whatever you think it can.

I too, remember the use of a coin for tracking purposes. Worst experience though was accidentally dripping one drop of candle wax on an album. No, it never was cured.

Hoo boy... came across this today. Normally I'd hesitate to link to this "review" :sick: site as it derives ad money from each visit, but I had to share.

Combine an off-the-shelf class D amp module and SMPS, sprinkle in some uber-snake-oil, add a pinch of truly awful soldering, and you can charge $3000 for an amplifier. Oh, and don't forget the wooden back panel, because, YES, it affects the sound!

Look at the pics on the second page - the workmanship is dire. Magic power filters housed in nothing but the finest cheap laser-cut plywood glued to the chassis... bodged-in coils of miracle metal that definitely won't act as antennas... and of course, reality-defying quantdumb purifiers! :ROFLMAO:

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/boenicke-audio-p1-2nd-opinion/

Reactions: 1 users
Recently we had a group meeting of audio enthousiasts, bringing in their DIY amplifiers and speakers.
One of the visitors placed Omicron stabilizers everywhere on top of the speakers and told everyone it sounded much better that way.
I could see clearly no one of the very critical listeners in the rooms bought his story as they heard no difference.
Same with me. The biggest difference was when he placed the stabilizers on top of the speakers, as we was standing in front of the speakers.
I still trust my ears and could hear the difference between a phone cartridge of € 2700,- and one of € 5400,- quite well (I preferred the € 2700 cartridge, even if it's way above my budget).
Check foxaudio.nl if you dare, but be careful; your journey may be slippery!

Regards, Gerrit

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Check foxaudio.nl if you dare, but be careful; your journey may be slippery!
Amazing how he managed to insert the name of all his sponsors into one article. Also, I don't think that it is legal in the US to purchase an internally moist amplifier without a signature from a parent or guardian (or, more appropriately, your Significant Other.)

Hal

Reactions: 1 user
Hoo boy... came across this today. Normally I'd hesitate to link to this "review" :sick: site as it derives ad money from each visit, but I had to share.

Combine an off-the-shelf class D amp module and SMPS, sprinkle in some uber-snake-oil, add a pinch of truly awful soldering, and you can charge $3000 for an amplifier. Oh, and don't forget the wooden back panel, because, YES, it affects the sound!

Look at the pics on the second page - the workmanship is dire. Magic power filters housed in nothing but the finest cheap laser-cut plywood glued to the chassis... bodged-in coils of miracle metal that definitely won't act as antennas... and of course, reality-defying quantdumb purifiers! :ROFLMAO:

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/boenicke-audio-p1-2nd-opinion/
6 moons never disappoints as a high-grade snake-oil vendor!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
sometimes I think I should just find another hobby so that I don't get to meet these types.
I recently displayed a simple external crossover box with a series resistor padding down a highpassed 12P full range, and a lowpassed 12PW extended range, intended to boost the open baffle bass enough to.ude them without a subwoofer for latenight listening.
The post received a few comments saying it couldn't work because the inductors were laid flat, and so were several feet from the differently oriented speaker voice coils.
Some said it would hum because it was near the power amplifier. I responded it didn't do so audibly, but had anticipated it could have been a problem, and despite the aluminum sheeting on the underside of the power amplifier, and the topside of the aluminum enclosure, had attached a copper sheet intended to act as additional shielding. I was then told he likes to get the best out of his components, but I should go ahead and do as I pleased.
And a few said it couldn't work because the aluminum casework would alter the inductance values. I replied that I had potted inductors in the past with steel pots and noticed this, and the coils metered at something like 4.68 outside the enclosure and 4.683mH or something like that when measuring the installed coils through the binding posts.
Then he said it couldn't work because the coils are within about 6 inches of each other.
(I presume he meant they would couple when in use. I presume he thought I cared if they coupled, although my goal here was boosting the relative sub 225hz bass level with these, but was curious about the percentage of added crosstalk or distortion would be.
When I told him the resultant -3db filtering point of the inductors and the fact my power meters are typically at 0.2db flickering with rare peaks of 1-2 watts, he informed me I'm a miserable human being for not taking his solid advice.
Which I'd never asked for, lol.

Reactions: 3 users
I can relate but on a lower level than crossover builds. The advice that comes through can sometimes be helpful, but most of the time, you have to really filter it (yup pun intended). Many who are backseat drivers (OMG another pun) have never been anything but that, and if otherwise, have a 'record' of their own failure. It looks like that you are pleased with the results, and IMO the drivers chosen are a good start, as I have owned a set of 12P drivers for some time, only changing them out for a really expensive set given to me as a present. I am sure that there would be more than a few complainers if I were to describe my cabinet build and choice of drivers, not to mention the 2nd order crossover used. Having said that, I am still in love with the unexpected outcome, and that is good enough for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.