geezers - what did you build 50 years ago?

Ever the early adopter, I think I had a Garrard Zero 100, though it was probably late 'seventies. It solved the problem of 2% angular stylus misalignment via a two piece tonearm, which we didn't know we had a problem with until then:

Garrard zero 100.jpg

Boys and their toys... :geek:

Reactions: 1 user
53 years ago I was an intern in the Solid State Physics Lab -- lab rat -- my job was to build stuff from Scientific American "Amateur Scientist" articles -- like a PLL. I also fixed the Tektronix scopes (535, 525?), attended to the McIntosh amplifiers they used and built some low noise pre-amplifiers.

On my own I built a regulated power supply for my Eico 753 transceiver, a horrible rig which I still have. Thinking of George's transistorized supply, I acquired the matching Eico mobile supply for it, a working AC supply and the Eico Keyer. I blew the original Eico AC supply, a local ham gave me a mil-surplus transformer for it. Somewhere there is a picture of it.

My SWTP "Plastic Tiger" blew up immediately upon powering up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever the early adopter, I think I had a Garrard Zero 100, though it was probably late 'seventies. It solved the problem of 2% angular stylus misalignment via a two piece tonearm, which we didn't know we had a problem with until then:

View attachment 1305773

Boys and their toys... :geek:
Did yours have the two piece dust cover where the top hinged on the back? It was nearly impossible to close that thing without making the record skip, so I left it open while playing records. The spinning shiny thing was too much of a temptation for a curious cat so the two tangled, and the cat won.

My SWTP "Plastic Tiger" blew up immediately upon powering up.
I never built any of the SWTPC amps from their kits. I copied the PCB from the magazine article and stuffed them with free silicon from the Motorola Semiconductor sales engineer. The Plastic Tiger and the Universal Tiger were the versions we made the most of, well into the 80's. Some were used in guitar amps and a few were used in HiFi systems, but thanks to my "Electric Bagel" power supply, (I didn't choose the name) most went into car or van amps.

I sold the remains of my collection of random parts and PC boards to another member here 10 or 12 years ago. Since then, I found the "Master Blaster" amp I built for my car in the 90's as an "analog design project" for school in quest of an engineering degree. I can't find it now though. It had 4 X Plastic Tigers in it, powered by a "new improved" power supply that used a cup core transformer, so it could not be called an electric bagel.

TigerAmps_2.jpg

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Geezer here ;-)

I was a bout 16 at that time when I built one of these. Had "satellites" made out of JBL 2110+077. All this sounded nice... and pretty loud to my parents undivided joy ;)

Schmackshorn​

Schmackshorn.jpg

//

Reactions: 2 users
Then 45 years ago or so when the first of the small fry arrived ....I used to pick up "Hi Fi News and Record Review" at Hotalings bookstand in NYC on 42nd Street -- also got Elektor and some French hi fi mag there.

From one of these I built the second "DaLine" which used a B110 and T27. It sounded pretty good with my Pioneer SX-838.

I gave the DaLine to my brother who was in college as I got my hands on a pair of AR AR3a's. I still have the AR's which one of my sons had for a few decades. He returned them to me with the driver surrounds and pots replaced (didn't pass the WAF test). They are now on stands and still sound pretty good!

Reactions: 1 users
If the question isn't limited to audio and audio-related devices, I can add my opinion. I'm 55 so 50 years ago I was a small boy. But 40 years ago, at my 16's I made my first AM transmitter and receiver for the 80m amateur band.

TX was a 6DQ6 choque modulated by another, a 6U8 oscillating at 1700KHz apx. and a 6BQ5 as frequency doubler. Audio was a 12AX7 and a crystal mike. A 5U4 and 5Y3 for rectifiers with separate power traffos for final stage, running 500V at 6DQ6 anode supply. Pi tank with 410pF at plate side and 3 x 410 at antenna load side.

RX was a 6BZ6 (RF), 6BE6(Converter), 2 x 6AU6 (IF) 6AV6 (detector and 1st audio), 6AQ5 (audio out), 6AL5 (Noise reduction), 6C4 (beat oscillator) and 80 (rectifier). Speaker was an electrodynamic unit 1500 Ohm field and 6" cone.

As with 16 I could't get my ham licence, a guy from the radioclub told me I can use the radioclub call LU1EEE during tests. This guy was the president of such RC.

Reactions: 1 user
If the question isn't limited to audio and audio-related devices, I can add my opinion. I'm 55 so 50 years ago I was a small boy. But 40 years ago, at my 16's I made my first AM transmitter and receiver for the 80m amateur band.

TX was a 6DQ6 choque modulated by another, a 6U8 oscillating at 1700KHz apx. and a 6BQ5 as frequency doubler. Audio was a 12AX7 and a crystal mike. A 5U4 and 5Y3 for rectifiers with separate power traffos for final stage, running 500V at 6DQ6 anode supply. Pi tank with 410pF at plate side and 3 x 410 at antenna load side.
I used the 6DQ6A single tube transmitter which I built from the ARRL Handbook. The article said it could get 30W on 80, 40 and 15 meters, I don't know if that claim is true, but it did light up a 25W bulb pretty good! It had a voltage regulated screen and didn't chirp. I never got it "officially" on the air, and spent my time on 6M until I got my general class license.

One of my favorite tubes from the era remains the 6360 dual tetrode which I operated on 6M

I always hate CW thus never use it as CW TX.

I remember (fully ignorant about magnetism and inductance) that the modulating choke was a rewound choke from dual cores ferromagnetic resonant stabilizators for TV. But as I believed that more inductance was better, I used the core without air gap. Colleagues told me that I had
I used bulbs as dummy load too, and a way to check if modulation was positive or negative (improperly adjusted TX's sometimes modulate negative).

So colleagues said me I had nasal voice when transmitting. Over it, the core was too much saturated that was capable of attract a screwdriver and keep it vertical. Old good times where the bigger problem was to discover why the TX had nasal audio. But several DX to about a KM using the window grid as antenna.