• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hello from Mexico

Hi
I'm looking for the schematics and if possible a kit to re-build a PP El34 amplifier. I have the chsis, tubes, power and output transformers from a Cadence (made in India) amplifier.
I have some experience in electronics and DIY projects, so the complexity wont be a problem.
Any idea how to start?

Another Welcome! to the forum. If a published schematic isn't available, forum members can often decipher a lot of information from just a listing of the tubes in use (to guess the likely choice of circuit - there aren't that many in common use) and a few photos.

Be safe, have fun, and all good fortune,
Chris

Thanks for the reply, I´m not at home now to take better fotos, but I had the following: one view of the whole amp, but with two modifications I was doing at that time: adding a 6SN7 preamp (which is in the top) and an automatic bias circuit (at the center behind the filters).
The second phot is the pcb for two EL34 tubes and the other two are the PCB of the one channel power source.
Unfortunately, there is not schematics available.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_8748.png
    IMG_8748.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4632.png
    IMG_4632.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4635.png
    IMG_4635.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4633.png
    IMG_4633.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
No schematics, even of the modifications that you've done? You're not giving us a lot to work with. Is there an actual problem or fault with the amplifier, or or are you just generally interested in improving/ modernizing it? Either will require a schematic, which you can draw out for yourself, unfortunately by hand, the old fashioned way. Worst case.

All good fortune,
Chris

If it's any consolation, that effort is what the sergeants in the Army used to call "Good training, men, good training." Not fun while you're doing it, but sometimes options are limited. If you get lucky with a published schematic, you'll lose out on all that fun training :)

Joined 2021
Paid Member
Thanks jcalvarez
Looks like I can do it, any advice about where to the look for the parts? Particularly about the capacitors?
I typically use 4 sources:
  • Digikey/Mouser for capacitors, resistor kits, power/output transformers (I'm UK based, there are better options in the USA)
  • eBay for NOS tubes (mostly from Ukraine suppliers), screws, chassis etc
  • AliExpress as an alternative for resistors/transformers, also miscellaneous things like sockets.
  • HotRox UK for Belton sockets.

For power and output transformers I'd say Edcor and Hammond are the best bet for quality that does not break the bank. The output transformer is, IMHO, the most important component of the amplifier, only second to the speakers.

Reactions: 1 user