Hello from Norway!

Hi!
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Not quite sure where or how to start, but been into diy audio for a couple of years now. Been tinkering with mechanics and electric/electronics for most of my life doing small repairs and troubleshooting like resoldering loose connections and stuff like that. Recent years making some amplifiers. Started with the DoZ (don’t really care for the name) Found the schematics and soldered it up on a perf-board, and powered by a Meanwell smps.
Since made some ACAmini’s and 2022fe’s, H2’s and currently working on a F5m. Tested and working on enclosure. More projects in the queue.

Have learned tons from you guys and looking forward to learning a lot more.
Consider myself a complete noob, but know enough to know that it is MUCH I don’t know.

Lars.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi.
Yes. It’s the Technics1210. Bought it a few years ago on the Norwegian version of Craigslist. Didn’t look too bad on the pictures and was supposedly very sound mechanically. It was not.. Very rough looking and the only thing it had going for it was the platter did spin. Kind of.. lol. Did a complete restoration. Tone arm was totally shot, bearing shot, vta completely seized etc, etc. lots of new parts and some upgrades from KAB Usa, and is now a great turn table. Minus the plinth which looks ok but not great after thorough cleaning.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Mine is overall in better shape that it's silver sibling.
I'm amazed they still spin after all this years: bought them used ( from a wedding dj) in 1997... and they had been through some harsh things when mine: played in woods (in march) located on hood of a car powered by construction site generator with humidity dripping on needle... they didn't skipped a track...
Even survived my both sons which decided to learn to scratch without dad! The Ortofon nightclub didn't resisted though... LOL
My SL-10 looks still like new too but it never leaved my home.
My SB-M2 could still put to shame some newer loudspeakers too...

Technics built to last.

Now that I'm old and retired, I am considering visiting the family farm in Norway as some rich cousins have done. It's near Kvikne and my great grandfather was a Skabu before he got married. But I'm a little worried about Norwegian prices and it's a long way to travel for a few days visit. I wish I could speak Norwegian. Many people my age that aren't dead yet, like to see Europe but most places I don't care about.

Kvikne is about 130-40 miles south from where I live, but still a 3hr plus drive because of the Norwegian roads. :D

I don’t think you have to worry too much about the prices here. Compared to the dollar, the Norwegian currency is weak. You get 11-12nok for a dollar.

Went to the states back in -94 to a family reunion. Got relatives in Montana. Would love to go back someday.