Help needed choosing a 15" for 2-way

Look at the 3rd harmonic (blue) it never exceeds 1% with 33 watts... That = a pair of my arrays holding 120dB (!!) at 1 meter with 0.21 mm cone travel and only 25% of their AES continuous power rating.
1718046105650.png

Reactions: 1 user
You have them the wrong way round.
The 15P80 Fe/N ferrite magnet driver has an 88g Mms with 22.1 Bl with a suspension of 279 um/N compliance / lower Fs of 32 Hz.
The Neo magnet version has higher Mms of 98 g with 23.8 Bl and a stiffer suspension of 168 um/N compliance / higher Fs of 39 Hz.
I have only used the ferrite version, I chose it because it is better suited than the Neo version for both sealed box and open baffle use.
I am sure the Neo version is also a great sounding driver, but it is significantly more expensive, has a poorer set of TS parameters and measures slightly worse for all my use cases.
Maybe it is better suited to ported speakers?
Also, in my previous post when I said "it was better by a mile" that was comparing it to a very different driver, the 15LX60 .... That is a dedicated low bass driver, not, a high sensitivity mid-bass driver like either of the two 15 P80 designs.
The LX60 range wins easily below 70 Hz... The P80 range wins easily above 70 Hz.

Last edited:
What I dont understand is the difference in T/S parameters between the Neo and the Fe version according to the Beyma website:
15P80ND: FS 39Hz MMS 88gr
15P80Fe : FS 32Hz MMS 98gr
there was released in total 3 versions of each over the years, just as with the 12P80's. So TS parameters, cone wieght etc, varies even within the "same transducers".

Last edited:
Hi.
Congratulations on choosing new speakers, optimized with 21st century CAD technology.
I'm keeping my ears happy with 15ntlw3500 totally differently than You plan to, but I can tell, that they move nicely air. I've made crude testboard half-baffle with only upper part for ptt6.5 and amt25d powered by Hypex Fusion 253.
They work like should not, moving air and not creating Room pressure difference, while playing bass mostly on-axis.
I have spotted 3 revisions of them, prior two having bit more glue at the coil-membrane connection and a just a bit slower impulse response (like nanoseconds visible on REW).
A year ago I have played them in 2-way up to 2kHz with Mundorf amt25d only, also were quite ok but the 1000-3000Hz range suffered from poor directivity control of Dipole naked AMT and 15". Mid-term solution today is to incorporate mid driver purifi ptt6.5, in my wet dreams mids run from radian lm10n (i'm on a hunt for good price, even used).

they simulate quite well in VituixCAD, You can even play with 2nd order at 100hz, followed with later 24db lowpass close to 1khz. Wonderful for my 2380a horns (i'm open to suggestion what CD to match with it)

Zero baffle is having this special very addicting bass, and for no extra money you get unknown to other loudspeakres feature - bass around the house is almost -10dB to the listening room and -20dB to what you have on axis. The only problem is when You want to have 30hz @80dB- i think it's not possible with them completely naked (or maybe i need 6 of them). I do have hypex mid channel set -9dB, which is later shelved also for 16dB starting @200hz. I think (not possible to be measured) i can achieve 40hz @80dB using almost all 250W of hypexes.

Only downside i can think of with those 18sound is linear xmax - according to sims they go above it below 40hz with 110dB (producer doesn't report Xdamage, but i haven't yet achieved with anything 110dB in my flat because i'm polite to neighbors).

In my plans soon after moving to new house next month i'd like to create new threads here. The plan is to create 3 or 4 types of solutions with them (I have 6 of these 15")
next project in line is HUUUGE box of 450 liter- new livingroom infinite baffle jawdropper camouflaged as tv wall.

after that i'll do sealed, bass reflex and always wanted to try some horn.

after exploring stnadard boxes i will keep myself busy with daisy chaining Hypexes to create DBA, w371 clones and other uncommon stuff.

now. let's try attaching images...

Attachments

• drop zero back.jpg
    drop zero back.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 17
  • drop zero filter.png
    drop zero filter.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 21
  • drop zero front.jpg
    drop zero front.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 19
  • drop zero phase.png
    drop zero phase.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 20
  • fat bat - Copy.jpg
    fat bat - Copy.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Zero baffle is having this special very addicting bass, and for no extra money you get unknown to other loudspeakres feature - bass around the house is almost -10dB to the listening room and -20dB to what you have on axis.
The zero baffle produces lovely bass.
I saw this zero baffle in 2008 https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/download/Humble Homemade Hifi_Serious Sub.pdf they use a pair 21 inch Precision Devices drivers, I couldn't afford them but bought a pair of 18 inch instead... Really great. He compares them No Baffle, H baffle, U baffle sealed and ported.... Very interesting article. I trust his advice as he is very good bass player as well as speaker designer.
1719344011788.png