Help needed with Voigt speakers build with - Dayton Audio PS220-8 8" Point Source Full-Range Neo Driver

Hi All,

I am looking to build something like this but with a different driver altogether.

Dayton Audio PS220-8 8" Point Source Full-Range Neo Driver, recently sourced and waiting to get them this weekend. I am a newbie and need help in the dimensions and the build.
I could nto find any calculator for this kind of enclosure, any pointers will be helpful or even any dimensions for the build will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
GYASK

I looked at this a while back but decided to build something a lot more compact. On the YouTube video there are google docs links to the dimensions and instructions. For your driver you may need to adjust the design if it is suitable. Some of the senior builders and designers here may assist more. I recall there being discussions on Voigt speakers from time to time. A search of the forum might turn something up.

Found it. Not dissimilar to GM's (not entirely a surprise ;) -I'm sure his will be better though; I don't have Hornrsp on the desktop at the moment as it's having an annual cleaning so can't compare the alignments). Tuned a bit higher here as from memory it was designed to a modest Vb & tickle gain up through the midbass power-band via that & the targeted Fb.

Afraid I haven't drawn it up. However, FWIW, internal dimensions:
1860mm x 254mm x 381mm HxWxD. 0 throat area. Zd = 930mm. Full width vent at base of front panel 43mm tall. Lag back & one sidewall 25mm bonded acoustic fibreglass, SAE-F10 soft-wool felt, or at a pinch, 30mm BAF & adjust as desired.

You can increase damping if preferred, I've deliberately left it fairly low as many prefer them that way. BW output from the duct is a little overstated, in practice it should be attenuating quicker as frequency rises, & you can increase the rate of rolloff with some grill-cloth or a thin layer of damping stretched over the vent -use the old click test to dial that in if desired. The driver may need an RL low-pass shelving filter -less 'baffle step' than simply correcting for its own rising HF response.

Attachments

• PS220Voigt.PNG
    PS220Voigt.PNG
    15.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Dave p10's Click Test diagram.png
    Dave p10's Click Test diagram.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi All,

Thanks for your support so far...GM..SM :) I have got all the required materials. Got the CNC Cut of all the panels hardware drivers everythig. Planning to work on the build this weekend.

But only thing that i am unable to do in this build is adding the aliminium sheet and bending it identical in each of the pipes :-(

Is it mandatory to have the aliminum slope ?

Thanks,
Yashwanth

GM

Joined 2003
Do what.............? I use(d) metal to brace/clamp with, not construct with......... Guessing here that HR's calculating an equivalent parabolic flare for the pipe's tapered design made from flat panels is 'messing' with his mind.

Could be.

Re metal -give me aerolam (done right), or solid aluminium / CRS any day if I had the ability, money and back-muscles. ;) I always tended to think Krell had the right idea with their LAT series, at least as far as the panels go: nice thick fluted CNC pre-cut aluminium panels, keyed, bolted & bonded together. Magico seem to be doing similar, albeit with a slightly less 'industrial' aesthetic. I think I prefer the Krell type appearance myself though -shades of 1950s UK aviation, and the Celestion SL600 standmounts of the '80s, which didn't look half bad if you're a fan of Miami Vice (guilty as charged). And in fairness, they were deadly accurate in bald FR -although deadly boring to listen to because they had the dynamic range of a sea-level salt-pan. :rofl:

Aluminium sheet / slope? :scratch1: Nothing like that in the design I did, or (I imagine) in GM's. Although we're both fans of metal cabinets, done well. ;)
perhaps this is what he was intending. There is certainly an indication of this type of thing in the video. This is what I did in the vofo but it's 2 layers of 2mm ply bent into a circle and glued, then cut into quarters. There was no science, just guesswork, but it worked for me. I couldn't say whether metal would be better but this was solid enough when I filled the cavity with builders foam.
vofo-radius6.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Is it mandatory to have the aliminum slope ?
That video is also what brought me to give DIY-ing a try.
And let me tell you: Tech Ingredients isn't always as "correct" as he seems.
Can it be done that way? Yes. Does it have to? No.

You can leave it out, glue in an angled piecee of wood, bend some wood into shape, etc.

I built my Voigt Pipes entirely without them, and they still sounded great. If you haven't started yet, I might suggest the BIBs. Just like a Voigt Pipe, but instead of being tuned to a quarter of the lowest wave, they're tuned to half the wavelength.
https://speakerprojects.wordpress.com/cabinet-types/bib-loudspeakers/

I had built Voigt Pipes, but then discovered the BIBs and built them afterwards.

Hi All,

I have finally completed the Voigt Pipe speakers.

Thank you SM..GM and others for your support.

I dont have the testing equipment nor the knowledge of testing the speakers too techy for me. This was the reason i chose the full range speakers to give it a try, being my first project i would say i was lucky enough to pull it off successfully with all your support.

But for my ears the speakers are really awesome lively i would say. Definitely the vocals and instruments are much cleaner and sounded very clear unlike my old crap vizio atomos speakers.

For now i have set the speakers in living room sorry for the mess thanks to my kid and his mom :)

Very soon planning to move to my office / listening room once i finish/paint them.

I got two thin peices of aluminium and then added a rubber padding between them glued them together for creating the curve at the bottom behind the alimium pieces had put some rockwoold stuffed to maximum and to retain the stucture i have created a slot on the bottom plate and then added the hot glue to the side panels. :) The front panel is damped with rubber mat which is removable.

Driving them with my Denon AVR may be if i choose any tube amp would do more justice to them but for now i cant afford another investment :)
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-14 at 2.04.58 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-14 at 2.04.57 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-14 at 2.04.57 PM (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-14 at 2.04.57 PM (1).jpeg

Thanks,
Yashwanth

Reactions: 2 users