Help to understand "current drive"

You have Forum experience enough to know that subjects wander allover the place, here and in any other thread ;)
That usually happens after a page or three.

It often feels like old grannies coffee or tea corner.
Just ignore any real information and just keep chit chatting for the hell of it. :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
(and then people wonder how to learn more .........)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, Bernd. You are right, of course. But these emitter resistors don't introduce any loss over and above those in a conventional amplifier, and in any case, they are of a very low value (0.1 Ohms). But yes, we can call it mixed feedback. And I should add, the load can be grounded, and bridge-working is very straightforward.
But the opamp controls the global feedback taken from output over R14/R8. I see only voltage amp.

If you read my paper, you will see that this is not just a voltage amp. In the example given, the output impedance is approx. R14/1000, so that if R14 were increased to 4 K Ohms, the output impedance would be 4 Ohms (I have measured this, and it is so). In the limit, when R14 approaches infinity, the amplifier becomes a trans-conductance device, giving a true current output.

John.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read my paper, you will see that this is not just a voltage amp. In the example given, the output impedance is approx. R14/1000, so that if R14 were increased to 4 K Ohms, the output impedance would be 4 Ohms (I have measured this, and it is so). In the limit, when R14 approaches infinity, the amplifier becomes a trans-conductance device, giving a true current output.

John.
Now i see. So if no R14 is there, the stage after opamp should be pretty linear as opamp don’t provide any correction.

Yes, I have. I have built 12 of these amplifiers (not simulations, but real hardware) and the performance figures are shown in my original paper, and also in my post: "Amplifier with Predictable Output Impedance". The output Z is easily measured by changing the load resistance from (say) 8 Ohms to 4 ohms, and measuring the drop in output voltage.

Last edited by a moderator: