• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help with 12AQ5 class A low gain and distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
screen shot. use the prtsc key beside F12. Hit alt-prtsc if you just want a shot of the window and not the entire screen.

Oh it's far too late. I took the measurements yesterday.
I have made the crude graphs.
I can retake the measurements if you need a clearer graph, but it will take like 10 mins each.

I have attached them down below.
View attachment magn-dist(no feedback).pdf
View attachment magn-dist(with a 500R negative feedback resistor).pdf
View attachment magn-dist(with a 2K negative feedback resistor).pdf

OK umm... I'm running the tests now and without any negative feedback, it's looking pretty clean :|
I really don't know what's going on.
Although, I suspect that it was because of my sound card. It has a bit of distortion after a certain volume and I think it was at 12% last time and now it's at 8% (which I discovered yesterday after those tests that it has almost 0% distortion at 8% volume).

AbaddonD, what circuit are you using? We went thru a number of iterations. Anyway … I wish you well. -= GoatGuy ✓ =-

The latest one with only one 6AQ5 in circuit.

I have attached 4 pictures below.
It seems a lot cleaner. I think the previous tests had a lot of distortion from the input. Now that it has clean signal coming in, it also has clean signal coming out. I forgot to take pictures of the distortion graph, but on the last one (500R) the THD seems oddly high at about 55% average but I think it's wrong or something. The D2 seems more reasonable though at a max of 3.03% at 30.0Hz and it's least D2 at 51.3Hz at 0.06%.

Also, I think that spike on the first graph is an error or something.

mgnt-dist (no negative feedback).PNG
mgnt-dist (with a 1K negative feeback resistor).PNG
mgnt-dist (with a 2K negative feedback resistor).PNG
mgnt-dist (with a 500R negative feedback resistor).PNG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.