HLCM - Horn loaded compact monitor

Which driver did you like so much, with the LT142 ?

Hello, the Altec 288 8G alnico with new GPA diaphragms

The JBL is tiny in comparison. Maybe 1/5 the size. lol but it does beat the altec in all respects except top octave extension.. however the Altec's top octave was all hash :eek:

Tomorrow I am going to pull out my TAD 4001s and compare with JBL 2435. Different horns of course. I actually preferred the Altec 288 8g to the TAD last time compared.

The TAD has a be surround (all one piece diaphragm) where the JBL is polymer. That may be the reason the JBL has all this resolution and isn't extended into the top octave. Sorta like the Altec symbotic 291 but beryllium - what I am getting is very fine and vivid resolution of the Be (think ultra black background painted with a huge pastel of colors) without the in the face fatigue of the TAD

Last edited:
cleaned the gap, removed previous 50ml ferofluid of the 2435 drivers and added the recommended 100ml of ferofluid. mounted the jbl cinema horns 2384 and designed passive eq - sound is much better. now i hear the promise of this horn and driver combination. 4th order staggered acoustic high pass at 650 cycles with 2nd order acoustic 600 cycle low pass on the bass horns. low midrange is much better, the bass and mid horns are getting synchronized

stargater3.jpg

This waveguide tweeter integrates perfectly. Crossing in the high treble at 8k :eek:

Hey Pooh!

It's looking great! Thanks for bringing us along.

As I continue to debate myself about the best way to handle my 500 to 2000Hz range, and unfortunately having little time to advance with my building and testing, I continue to read and learn.

Following your posts I was looking further into the JBL 2384 and visited the JBL website. I noticed this is used to 630Hz in the cinema 2-way systems, but on the cinema 3-ways they use a CD as tweeter and cone-driven horn from 450 to 2000Hz (eg; the 195H midrange on the 3730 speaker). BTW the horizontal dispersion on the 195H looks outstanding within that range.

Was wondering if you considered the 195H at some point, and why you discarded it? Maybe one of your design goals was to avoid having another driver in that range?

Cheers!

hello, i do have a cone midrange driver - the fane studio 10m except in a much bigger horn, it's more sensitive that extends below 100 cycles. the huge three way cinema systems normally use the 1 inch small format drivers for treble with 2374 horn where here i use the 2384 1.5 horn with the mid format 2435hpl compression drivers

i have the eminence LA6-CBMR that is the same as the jbl 195h. never liked it, the fane is many levels above this driver.

POOH, looks good! I have the 2384 top on the JBL 4722 using digital XO at JBL's recommended 650 Hz. I really like the 2384. I am using the stock 2432h CD which is undamped Ti driver. Sounds good, but just a bit edgy. I am likely to swap it out.

At the AVSForum, user notnyt has measured several 1.5" CD's on the 2384. If you start with this thread, over the next 20 pages is a bunch more measurements and impressions:

Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Out of the bunch, seems like the 2453H-SL came out on top. A 1/2" spacer is required to use it in the 2384 to get rid of the dip you will see in the frequency responses.

Good luck with your project!

Thanks! Very interesting - I will read and digest - I know the 2435 has virtually no exit snout and was designed to be used in the line array waveguides so maybe that will help - I made a quick adapter for the Altec 288 8g (long snout) to use with the 2384 and it measured very well - better than the JBL 2435hpl - haven't listened to that combo yet. The 2435 is really nice in this horn with some passive eq.

POOH, looks good! I have the 2384 top on the JBL 4722 using digital XO at JBL's recommended 650 Hz. I really like the 2384. I am using the stock 2432h CD which is undamped Ti driver. Sounds good, but just a bit edgy. I am likely to swap it out.

At the AVSForum, user notnyt has measured several 1.5" CD's on the 2384. If you start with this thread, over the next 20 pages is a bunch more measurements and impressions:

Just purchased a pair of JBL 4722n speakers. - Page 121 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Out of the bunch, seems like the 2453H-SL came out on top. A 1/2" spacer is required to use it in the 2384 to get rid of the dip you will see in the frequency responses.

Good luck with your project!

You are welcome.

In this horn 700 to 8k. That's with no eq. If I eq the JBL driver for similar response there will be around a 12db loss in sensitivity.

I have other horns where the Altec drivers could be used 400 cycles up. I also have a newer pair of 288 that are ferrite with tangerine phase plug. I'm now curious to compare them to the alnico radial plug shown here.

here is on axis comparison 3 feet out same input level no eq 1/48th smoothing

blue is altec 288 8g gpa diaphragm
red is jbl 2435 hpl beryllium driver

View attachment 594234

:scratch::drink::)

Compare that to the same 2435 driver in my big 60 degree radial horns. i'm still listening to the altec 288g in the jbl cinema horns. they sound great. strange the old long snout altec alnicos are so much better in the new jbl cinema horn YET the short exit snout be jbl 2435 is so good in the radial.

2435 hr60.jpg

The RH-60 is a fiberglass horn made by Community Light & Sound. It is aprox 24" wide by 22" tall by 25" deep in the 1.4" Altec version. The horn was made in 2" and 1" versions also. I have the 90 degree 2" version too it's called the BRH90 - BRH = Big Radial Horn - It's a 60 degree CD/Radial with both conical and hypex flares. With the 299 driver shown in the pictures (Pascalite dome) I use them from 600 Hz up. The 299 actually can be used down to 300 Hz in this horn but my midbass horn captures (85-600 hz, Fane Studio 10) that range better than the compression driver. Compared to the CMCD we are talking about this system where I have a superior midbass low midrange system crossed to a horn that takes care of the entire upper range. This sounds better. Differnt Horny Animals :D

View attachment 583768
View attachment 583769
View attachment 583770

I'm really attracted to your midbass horn :drool:

Is this something you can purchase or did you build it? It looks like the former since I can see screw holes.

Any measurements of it with the Fane?

You are welcome.

In this horn 700 to 8k. That's with no eq. If I eq the JBL driver for similar response there will be around a 12db loss in sensitivity.

I'm not familiar with Cinema system, but the horn is a snout-less bi-radial (kind) that requires the boost at the high end? It's interesting to see a conventional long snout driver has better HF at least on axis.

Last edited: