How good was the KEF B200?

I shouldn't think there'll be any aluminium in there. Those braids are usually either copper or silver and I can't imagine KEF using silver. 😂😂 I think flux is in too short supply to use CCAW in a bass unit but it's interesting that you mention Scan Speak because they pioneered making that joint in their tweeters which, because of the two metals, needed a particularly aggressive rosin - I presume to knock away the AlO3 that would reappear instantly.

But that really is a weak point which at some time gets nearly all manufacturers, especially if spider/coil former/cone and the wires all meet in the same place. You can sometimes find old B139s with burn holes round there, where someone has either been making a hash of things or has corrected a previously made hash (very hard to disguise if you have expanded polystyrene near your soldering iron).

In bass units? I'm surprised. You can probably get back some of the turns if you've flattened the wire but I'm still quite surprised. You are saving some mass but it's nothing like as important as it is on a tweeter or even mid and you need a given amount of mass for your bass resonance anyway. And I'd have thought you'd be sacrificing some power handling too - so that might mean you have to go up in coil diameter, which could mean an increase in magnet size too. I'm sure you can get something out of it but you'd need to do a proper study to see if things can turn out better with CCAW and though I can't do those calcs in my head I still think it's going to be a step back in most applications.

I HATE Pb-Free and all the Brussels idiots who brought in the law. One thing's absolutely for certain, it's doing nothing for the environment!

The key thing is the leachability of lead from tin/lead solder in landfills. Historically this was not a major problem, because domestic and industrial, usually valved/tubed gear, rarely found itself simply thrown away and ending in landfill.

However in recent times, with our use, throw away and then buy the latest gizmo society it has become much more of an issue. Hence lead-free solders. These are much better now than they used to be in joint wettability, and joint appearance. The old lead-free solders produced grey-looking joints that all looked as if they were dry joints, or one that had moved before the solder solidified.

For hobby use I want none of that nonsense. So I use tin/lead with 2% silver, and have stocked up with different gauges, and enough to see me in my box.

One of the reasons for aluminium voice coils is cheapness. Aluminium is a whole lot cheaper than copper. But voice coils with aluminium wire are really difficult to solder to, and needs a really aggressive flux.

Thinking back to lead leachability, our friends in Europe passed a law regarding disposal of old-style colour picture tubes from old TV's. The front assembly, with the shadow mask and phosphors was temperature sensitive, but it had to be bonded onto the envelope that contained the electron gun - and manufacturers used a very high lead content frit, which because of the lead had a very low softening temperature, and did not damage the shadow mask assembly,

That law had good intentions at it core, because the lead frit was exceptionally leachable in landfills. But in the law of unexpected consequences this also included in the catchall legislation all CRTs - including black and white CRTs (no frit at all, and used by collectors and restorers of old TV's) and test equipment CRT's such as those that were used in oscilloscopes. So many thousands of repair parts got disposed of unnecessarily.

I'll shut up now....

Reactions: 1 user
I remember these speakers well, and remember a KEF rep bringing a pair of the 8" version (C45?) to my house because they were the first speakers to showcase Andrew's idea of using a large series cap on the bass unit. They were still a bit too KEF for my taste but the bass idea worked well, if not quite doing the full job. No, the series cap doesn't colour the sound at all (I'd say introducing it changes things less than changing any other capacitor in the bass section) but, funnily enough, neither did it protect the speakers I'd put it on when the A370 went DC. (It might protect a larger speaker. A 3" driver getting 65V DC as its signal was already a shot to the head, long before the coil had a chance to begin burning.)

Sadly, yours is completely different B200 and, I believe is a 4 Ohm unit so you can't swap a B200 in. Just in case your drivers can be rescued, have a look to see if the joint between the VC wire and the braid is good. Sometimes you can repair a unit by unwinding a turn, or half a turn, and resoldering it to the braid (which, incidentally, is never that easy). But if not, it's either eBay for the same drivers or getting the bass units repaired, which is what I would do.

Volt, who I think moved to Dorset some while ago, would be a good set of people to do it - especially as you will probably have to have the coils wound anew. Send them both drivers and you'll get back something pretty damn close to the originals and, most importantly, properly aligned.
this is new for me and good news.
I think, you mean this manufacturer in U.K. for speaker drivers in the top-quality range:
https://voltloudspeakers.co.uk/contact/
Unfortunately on their website isn't mentioned this.
Maybe It is possible, that this supplier under
https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk
also has the remakes of various old KEF driver models manufactured there.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. Some of it is beyond my technical knowledge but my main takeaway is I may need to find a pro to service the drivers, if they can be serviced at all. I removed the driver from the enclosure. Here are some pictures.

IMG_5399.jpeg
IMG_5398.jpeg
IMG_5397.jpeg
IMG_5395.jpeg
IMG_5394.jpeg
IMG_5393.jpeg
IMG_5400.jpeg

The B200 was not a very good driver back in it's haydays. It comes from an era when amplifiers became more powerfull and loudspeaker manufactureres began to manufacture drivers with highly damped cones to avoid breakup behaviour at the expense of sensitivity and unfortunatly also at the expense of live sound or exitement. Loudspeakers became over polite and the B200 and other KEF drivers where the perfect example of it. The KEF speakers did sound well balanced but they lacked dynamics, lacked detail and simply lacked live.

I have also heard very good diy loudspeakers with KEF drivers in the past so I thought but that was untill I knew better. It was untill I started working as a sound engineer and hearing live music on a daily basis I knew something was just not right with these kind of drivers/systems and after a while I just could not stand the sound of it anymore, it was too far of what I heard from real instruments, like a over romantisized picture of reality.
But the best system is the system that brings the owner the most enjoyment.

Reactions: 1 user
@Sjef. Very interesting. I think the SARAs are a pretty good implementation of the B200. They don't do anything like KEF did back then and put them against the wall so they didn't have to compensate for the 4pi to 2pi transition. That allowed them to stay more sensitive and be much more dynamic because you didn't have the bass swamping the sound (by putting only one unit of bass into the room rather than two). Sadly they aren't a patch on the Isobariks and if I were pushed, I think I'd have to say the Kans were better - and that's with a driver I definitely wouldn't use these days, the SP1003. (I would use the SP1228 at a pinch but there are better drivers out there and I anyway prefer either plasticised paper or carbon fibre nowadays.) But I wouldn't go as far as saying it was never a very good driver. It was cutting edge in its time and I bet the sales figures don't bear out your perspective. What is surprising is that they didn't make a polypropylene version (I think), especially as they would go on to produce about half a dozen models after the SP1014. Had they done so, it would still be giving almost everything equivalent in the market a decent run for the money. But at £10-£15 each - which is almost exactly what we paid trade in the early and mid '80s - they offer good value and would be very tempting for someone starting out. And you can get more out of them than the SARAs do.

Update: I was able to source used SP1259 (B200) drivers from different sellers on eBay. I replaced the drivers in my c65s and voila they are working now! Time to revisit my 80s youth. I’ll probably start with some Full Moon Fever and take it from there..:

Thanks, everyone, for the advice!