How to build a 21st century protection board

But once the 4 second power up phase control is done the triac is on all the time.
The only switching is done at zero volt crossing and so doesn't radiate any noise.

yes , I acknowledge that - this is not a dimmer. I just like the smooth analog inrush
ramp I see on my present setup. Any proposed layout would also have reduced
radiated field (than a relay/resistor setup) - if compact.

My only issue would be future serviceability. Any relay will work , would the triac
be a "special one" ? (as easy to source).

Triacs on a separate board would give the flexibility of relays , to integrate them
on the main board might create other problems.

So , considering these factors , will going SS really bring a lot to the table besides
size ? (I am sold on the SS speaker relays :)).

OS

yes , I acknowledge that - this is not a dimmer. I just like the smooth analog inrush
ramp I see on my present setup. Any proposed layout would also have reduced
radiated field (than a relay/resistor setup) - if compact.

My only issue would be future serviceability. Any relay will work , would the triac
be a "special one" ? (as easy to source).

Triacs on a separate board would give the flexibility of relays , to integrate them
on the main board might create other problems.

So , considering these factors , will going SS really bring a lot to the table besides
size ? (I am sold on the SS speaker relays :)).

OS
I plan to build a power distribution module with easy to get triacs instead of relays. It will be separate from everything else. I want a mains in connection and transformer out connection. On board inrush resistor(if needed) and fusing. Either 12VAC or 120VAC out to the protection board too. No wire running between relays and resistors.

Hi,
I am using an OMRON solid state relay 20 amps 220 AC Mouse Part Number G2NE-220TI-US. Once it is ON the transformer has small hum. I do not know about E type transformer because normally I used toroidal transformers.

Is there a hum without the solid state relay ?

If there is any DC on the mains it will upset a toroidal transformer and make it hum.

Hi,
Yes, you can heard the hum from the transformer without the relay. Once the triac it is bypass the transformer run completely quit. I was thinking to try to filter it with a transformer snubber but since I used the triac to ramp the AC up/down on power ON/OFF I decided the best to do it is bypass it once the amplifier it is ON. Also it will eliminated the switching noise coming from the triac.

After you have ramped up the phase angle the triac will be fully on.
Once the triac is fully on it will be switching at zero volts so shouldn't be generating any noise.
Its the vertical switch on at the different phase angles that causes noise.
At phase angle 0 and 180 there is no noise generated but any other will generate noise.
The worst case is 90 degrees and 270 degrees where the voltage peaks.

As I said I'm new to triacs but if they are anything like triggering a mosfet he possibly might not be turning it on fully or quickly enough.

Controlling Motors and Transformers

A quote from the next link -

As for protection on the rails they will only switch off at zero current making them slower than a fuse, a mosfet or bipolar device on the DC rails after the filter capacitor would give better protection.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/176521-solid-state-relays.html

This makes me lean towards just a higher Vds opto isolated FET relay.
Triacs are more suited to resistive loads ??

Just a larger version of the already WELL tested SS speaker relay. Using
300-400V Vds common FET's , one can still find Rdson's of <.5R - sufficient
for 120-240V switching.
I looked it up 4 quantity el-cheapo power fet's - <10$ usd for all + the opto's.
OS

- FDB38N30U
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/FDB38N30U-348165.pdf
2$ each - A 38A 300V SS relay you will have. Nice D-pac mounting
130A pulsed operation.

On to the relay contact "burning" question. Huh ! buffered with 20R at inrush -
nope ! Switching that last 5V for full AC - not here , either ??
Any SS relay would never even "break a sweat" or come anywhere near that
"pulsed" rating. You would get your 10^8 cycles out of (them). :D

Edit - unless lightning struck - another SS "weakness" .
Edit2 - would also make a good "one fits all" solution -this could be AC/speaker / or rail breaker.
OS

Last edited:
Hi,
Listen I do not want to discouraged any body from the using of the triac for the problem I encountered. What I want it is to let all know the problem I ran into and how I fixed it. Maybe you do not have the same problem. Just in case you encountered it. I have been working with traic for about 3 years and I have mastered and been able to ramped the AC up/down without any flickering like you are using a variac or light dimmer.